1978 CB750 - From tacky to refined

monteboy84

Rowdy Rookie
Hello all,

I didn't see an Intro forum, so here goes ;)

My starter bike was a 2003 Softail Night Train, which I sold a few weeks ago. I decided I'd rather have the $400/month than a bike that I was afraid to get dirty or really hang corners with. Here's a pic from a Patriot Guard ride this summer, hence the flags:

CIMG0319.jpg

So, begins my journey with my CB750. Carpy's website got me considering a Cafe some time ago, but being as I had my Harley I never got the ambition to pick one up for the build. Well, as soon as the guy left with my Night Train (I only cried a little), I got on Craigslist and began the search. About a week and a half later I managed to scrounge up my 1978 CB750 with 16k original miles for $275. It's in decent shape, but it's a time capsule back to the days of extended fork tubes, apehanger bars, and king 'n' queen seats.

The plan so far is to get her running tops, painted, seat fabricated, clubman bars installed, 4-into-1 exhaust wrapped and installed, and ride her for the summer before a better teardown and rebuild next winter. I've already swapped the 6" over forks for some nice stockers I picked up for $40. The exhaust, handlebars, grips, turn signals, and a fresh rack of carbs are all on the way. "Before" pics to come tonight.

I look forward to reading and learning more here, and maybe even showing you gents some handy tips and tricks I've learned along the way 8)

Thanks for reading,

-matt

Re: 1978 CB750 - Pics to come

Welcome Matt, Can't wait to see the build. -MBS

Matt,

Welcome to the sickness! I'm a Harley man myself as are a few more members of the forum. I think Carpy inspired a fair number of us to go out and find those old CB750's waiting for a new life. Harley owners/ex-owners identify yourselves!

This is a good place to hang out and there are a lot of talented members waiting to help and offer suggestions. Let's see what you've got in that Craigslist 750!

Scott

Welcome! Started off the same as you and found this place. Didn't get a CB, but have found lots of great info that I'm putting to use on my XS750.

EWWW!! But in really good shape, should be a great build. -MBS

Welcome Matt, I to have a K8 and love it. Your bikes not ugly.
Think of it as a diamond in the rough. A bit of work and she'll be great. 8)
PS I want your rear grab rail and front fender. ;D Mossy

Thanks guys! The forks have already been swapped since this picture, and my clubmans should be here today. I sketched out last night what the new seat will be, and already have my paint scheme picked out. I'll also be adding rearsets, but need to sketch out some ideas in 3D cad before I start cutting and welding.

I've got pictures of everything I've done so far, just having difficulties with my slow home internet and my Photobucket account.

Mossy, shoot me a PM! If you want those pieces, they're all yours. I have to evaluate a bit, but I think I'm going with a Sportster front fender, and the grab bar is coming off tonight either way ;)

-matt

If I might be so bold, you should consider clip-ons rather than the clubman bars for a few reasons.

Clubmans have become the defacto hipster motorcycle accessory....and that's not good.
Obviously not all bikes with clubman bars are hipster Starbucks parking lot trash but it does open one to the scrutiny. As well, other than axial mounting angle you're basically stuck with the fit you get. Clip-ons, while more expensive initially offer a huge improvement over clubmans by way of adjustability, not only the height but angle of your wrist and if you get the REALLY adjustable ones like a good set of Tomasselli's (I may be biased...I love mine!), you can adjust for height, 'spread', angle, reach etc etc ad nauseum.
Lastly, Clubmans wanna be cool....clip-ons ARE cool! hehe

A good way to get into clip-ons for a good price would be to look up Champ over at caferacer.net.
Beware, there's some crusty bitchy semi-elitist assholes there but not all are. Geeto thinks an awful lot of himself and Hackasaw may come off a bit highbrow but at least he's got the knowhow and experience to back it up.

Like everyone else has said.....welcome to the fold brother!

Hey Swagger, take your clip-ons and shove 'em!!

Just kidding ;) The advice is much appreciated! I initially wanted clip-ons, and still do, but could not justify them over what I paid for the Clubman's right now. I like the ease of running cables and wires on the clip-ons, as well as the adjustability you mentioned. I guess my main hang-up is that since I'm fairly new to this, I want to look around at as much as I can before dropping the investment on some good clip-ons, or modelling some of my own to have them made.

I'll have to do some looking to check out your setup for reference 8)

-matt

I should have mentioned also, you should also consider rear sets if you're going for low bars of any kind. Your back will thank you...unless your' 5'2" tall.......

Swagger said:
I should have mentioned also, you should also consider rear sets if you're going for low bars of any kind. Your back will thank you...unless your' 5'2" tall.......

They're on the list, I'm 6'2" ;)

-matt

monteboy84 said:
They're on the list, I'm 6'2" ;)

-matt

Same here......I'll happily squat in the woods whilst camping but I prefer a more.....functional position on a bike.

I'm also a Harley rider (my main ride is an 09 Street Glide) but got the itch for something different. One of the salesman at the dealership I work for showed me pics of cafe style motorcycle that he was thinking of building. So I decided to throw a competition at him and I purchased a 81 Yamaha XS650. I wanted a motor style like the older triumphs so I went after the XS650. He is currently working on a KZ650. Looking forward to your build progress and more pics. Ride Free bro....

Hey, those stock exhausts look in really good shape... you should ebay them, you'll turn a quick profit on the bike before you even start building! plus, they'd be ugly on a cafe, but there are a lot of resto-nuts out there that'll pay good $ for nice looking chrome!

rockcitycafe said:
Hey, those stock exhausts look in really good shape... you should ebay them, you'll turn a quick profit on the bike before you even start building! plus, they'd be ugly on a cafe, but there are a lot of resto-nuts out there that'll pay good $ for nice looking chrome!

Hehe, I hadn't noticed how good they actuallly look in the picture, unfortunately the pipes are actually in pretty ugly, pitted, and dented shape. My 4-into-1 should be here this week sometime. I got a lot done on her this weekend, have pictures of the process, just need to post them up once I upload them.

-matt

Back
Top Bottom