cm200t bobber

supercafe

Coast to Coast
hey there,

i have recently finished up my cafe build and was looking for another build. my friend had a cm200t 1981, bought it for 100$ and awhile ago we bought a motor for the same bike amoung other prts. when he bought it it ran but had a tranny issue, so he swapped the motor for the one we bought. the diffenance was the old one was a 6v and pionts, and the new is a 12v and electronic ignition. the bike now fires up in one kick. so then we decided to trade it for a cb650 and get that going for a bigger cruiser. the deal fel through so i decided to by it for the price of the prts needed to get his night hawk going which came out to
200$..
so then began the tear down and reworking of the rear end.....
fisrt i started with the bars, i was going to go with some ape hangers. but had a set of straight bars, so i fitted them on and loved
the way it looks..
second i removed the seat, springs, and other prts. i cut off the rear section of the frame and dropped it 5 or so inches. cut out the rest of the seat frame to fit the tire and fender.
next i cut some square tube, 1+1 tube. drilled holes to fit the studs and welded the tube to the frame and swing arm, then installed the nuts and washers. will be cutting them down at the top and fitting the signals on them.
this is pretty much how far i have got, got more to do, like tires, tank, cables, suicide shift, paint, and lighting.
here are some pics of what it looks like now..
DSC05709.jpg

DSC05710.jpg

DSC05711.jpg

DSC05712.jpg

DSC05713.jpg

what do you think?????
so far i love the stance and the aditude of the bike.
will keep posting on it, hope to get to it fri night. what to get the bike pretty much ready to paint and clean up...
and would like any info and help on the suicide shift.
thanks
later.

very nice, i think my next build will be a bobber, but i have no room in the garage, got to clear some room out in the garage, thinking about taking out a wall :D

i had a harley once that i converted to suicide clutch and hand shift, i did not ride it after i converted it though, i sold it shortly afterwards, it was too top heavy for me :)

looks better already. My next build will be a bobber/chopper as well. I really like the skinny bikes with flat bars, mid controls and way low. Not sure how comfortable it will be but that is the plan. I also want to drop the front end way down. Any how, I've been lurking over at Metric Underground following a few builds. Some pretty cool builds. http://www.metricunderground.com/
JRK started a bobber build a while back with some nice frame work. I don't think he finished it yet. The build is located somewhere here. Keep us posted on your progress.

Looks like a fun project! Are you planning to use a spring-mounted seat or go totally hard-tail? The hard tails look cool, but I don't think my tender ass could take it.

whats up,

thanks for the words, this build is fun and really does sit low. as for the seat, i want to use a springer seat. but..... i am going to
try the hard tail ride first. once i install the big bobber tires, they should help with the ruff ride.....maybe.
tonight i cut the seat frame further in to fit a bigger tire and fender, might have to go further not sure yet. i will be welding the
frame after it is mocked up, this will stiffen it up the rear under the seat. then will be welding the hard tail parts to the frame and
swing arm, to hold the frame stiff.
as for the shifter, i might try to find a old tractor selector, and cut it down to fit. i think it might work???
any way, i'll keep you posted, i am going work on it tomarrow and hope to get alot of progress done on it.
thanks agian,
later.

Tractor selector could be really cool. What about something big and brass from an old steam-powered motor or something? Maybe not the direction you were going.

i used a chunk of inch or half inch pipe, and mounted a skull car shift nob to the top :)

i just flipped the shift lever upward on the harley and undid the linkage, it had forward controls, you could just cut the shift lever and bolt the jockey shifter to the original lever

hey whats up,

yes i believe the jokey shift clutch is on the foot control, and the suicide shift is all on the shift arm. the clutch control is
mounted to the arm..
as for the tractor selector, i think it would be cool aswell. ya if i could find a brass selector like you have said it would also be cool.
the only thing is i don't want it to look like a rat bike.... not that i don't appreiciate them, it is not what i'm going for..
any way, any info or pictures would really help with the install would be awesome.
thanks later....

whats up,

made some more progress with the bike. i am using the old bars for now, bent them like ape hangers, looks petty cool.
i really like the flat bar look but did'nt want the pain of cables right now. i got the motor idling, had a clogged pilot jet.
got a new batt and finished up the rear welding except for the paint and lights.
got the seat pan done and welded to the frame, need to get the snaps on the pan then foam etc.
next is to clean up some parts, eng, wheels, exh, tank. i am using the original tank.
i will post some pics, when i can..i think it looks good.
this is just a written up date for now..
thanks
later.

hello, got some up dated pics.
cm200002.jpg

cm200003-1.jpg

cm200004.jpg

cm200005.jpg

cm200006.jpg

cm200007.jpg

cm200008.jpg

cm200003.jpg

cm200001.jpg

added higher bars for now, welded in a rear bobbed fender. got the bike to idle and run right, need to finish some minor welding.
need to get the lights set up and sprockets and chain. there is a few other things but will have to wait.
will put the sraight bars on at a later time, and add the firestone tires. also, i have decided to not put the suicide shift on it, to much to do
to the bike. any way, hope you all like it so far. and yes the bike is going to be left hard tail, i've rid the bike and it is really not that bad.
looks awesome any way.

hope you like,
later.

Very interesting! The only thing I'd do is extend the swingarm, lower the front a little including the headlight, and definitely throw on the straight/drag bars. Bobbers are really growing on me now.

Looking good bro! Bike does have a nice stance. I can dig it. Is that I different tank in the last picture? Just don't loose any of those carb pieces. ;D

Hey Black Motor I really liked that build. If I remember right the guy ran that thing all winter even in the ice and snow.

Hey good for nothing, short is ok too,..."that's what she said" (Got to quote THE OFFICE). Going short is different and different is good, right?
Anyhow the struts are welded and I figure the bike is on its way to being completed anyhow. You keep it up Goodfor and you'll have a bobber build post of your own here. ;D

hey guys,

thanks for the words, it is a differant tank. the first is off my cd175, the second is the original one.
i am putting the straight bars back on later, and was thinking of dropping the frt end, what is your take on this. i want to but
love the stance as it sits. the carb is back together now so no worries of losing prts. it idles great now just have to get the
mix right..
need advice on some lights, what to use????
should i put another tank on aswell??? i can get a bobber/chopper tank for 195.00 what do you think???
love the bike black motor, nice little build. whos is it????
any way, will get some more pics up when i'm further along..
thanks
later.

I'd say for a bobber look, go with the CM tank, slightly more round, and don't drop the front end. That sloping stance looks cool with bobbed fender and hardtail.

thanks dcwp,

just what i wanted to heir. i love the stance and think it looks cool aswell.
one question ape hangers or straight bars???
any way, thanks.
later.

Yeah, I think if you're going for the serious bobber look, the ape hangers make it right.

But be careful about listening to me, I have really bad taste. I've been talking about building a banana seat for my bike.

Back
Top Bottom