1980 Yamaha SR250 - A Tracker named Mexico

SteveG said:
Yeah it took me a good few hours of effort to get mine out. You may probably already know this, but when you get the bike fully stripped down it may look like the frame is bent - it isn't - it was designed with one side of the bottom rail shorter than the other.
I appreciate the tip! Your paint looks great so far.
 
A little progress: Indicators, horn, front fender and headlamp fitted. Turns out that I like the front fender...
 

Attachments

  • 22092012753 (1024x768).jpg
    22092012753 (1024x768).jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 22092012759 (1024x768).jpg
    22092012759 (1024x768).jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 22092012760 (1024x768).jpg
    22092012760 (1024x768).jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 304
Not much will happen for the next week as I'm working 6 x 12hr shifts. The good news is that I then have 2 weeks off work and I will hopefully get the bike complete, or close to it.

A few pics: I've got all new tank rubbers and I can now get down to getting the tank/seat alignment right. The side shot shows some misalignment, however the seat will sit about 3/8" lower at the front when I've recessed the tank mounting bolt. I also need to lower the back of the seat about 3/4" to an inch to stop the bike looking like it's back is broken. With this done hopefully the seat and tank will sit in a straight line from front to back. (please ignore the tank, it still needs a few coats of paint ((out of stock :mad:)), stripes fitting and clear coating)
 

Attachments

  • 23092012764 (1024x768).jpg
    23092012764 (1024x768).jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 23092012769 (1024x768).jpg
    23092012769 (1024x768).jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 23092012770 (1024x768).jpg
    23092012770 (1024x768).jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 23092012775 (1024x768).jpg
    23092012775 (1024x768).jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 300
Hi, the seat is for a SR500 and I had to mod the frame a bit to get it to fit. I got it from this guy: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Escortmotorparts-Store/_i.html?_fsub=509186819 though he doesn't seem to have any in stock at the moment. But I have seen him sell these seats on a few different occasions so it might be worth keeping an eye on his stock.
 
Nice work, I like the fenders and once the tank is done it should be killer. That seat is nice too. This little bike will be a looker when completed for sure.

Maritime
 
Maritime said:
Nice work, I like the fenders and once the tank is done it should be killer. That seat is nice too. This little bike will be a looker when completed for sure.

Maritime

Thanks Maritime, Have you got a new project lined up?
 
Nope, not yet, I got stuff to fix on the GL over the winter and a dirtbike for my 8 year old but nothing project wise yet for me, new house has sucked all the funds for now but I hope in a month to score a deal on something that someone doesn't want to store over the winter.

Cheers
 
I'd love a Honda CL350/360 to restore next, but they aint cheap in the UK. This bike by 2.3efi is stunning:
 

Attachments

  • edit1of15.jpg
    edit1of15.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 308
Yep she is a beaut. After you asked the question I was purusing the local classifieds and found a 80's VFR750 for $400, I wish I had $400. Titled and running poorly due to sitting and needing a total referesh but it would make a great winter project. The guy started at 1500 and is desperate to sell before he moves out west. Likely will be gone before I can scrape up 400 bones.
 
SteveG said:
I'd love a Honda CL350/360 to restore next, but they aint cheap in the UK. This bike by 2.3efi is stunning:
It's too bad you don't live in North Dakota. I almost bought a 1972 CL350 for $300 before a guy traded the 1980 SR250 to me.
 
I would but I am sure I will need that later in life. I am looking around the house for things to sell off though just in case. 400 for that bike + about a grand in refresh parts and paint and it would be like new and a hell of a sport touring bike. Only flaw is the 16" front wheel. Bitch to get tires for. You should look into the shipping cost for a member here to box one up and put on a boat for you. My sister and her boyfriend who lived in London came for a visit here and bought a ton of camping gear and mountain bikes for less than half the cost in the UK then spent about 200 bucks to ship it all back and it arrived about 3 weeks after they got home in time for summer. Then again the pound was like 2.5 times the CAD $ at the time. Title might be the only issue. But there are plenty of cheap 360's around this side of the pond.
 
Jmiller1023 said:
It's too bad you don't live in North Dakota. I almost bought a 1972 CL350 for $300 before a guy traded the 1980 SR250 to me.

Bugger. I will have to look at shipping costs.
 
Maritime said:
I would but I am sure I will need that later in life. I am looking around the house for things to sell off though just in case. 400 for that bike + about a grand in refresh parts and paint and it would be like new and a hell of a sport touring bike. Only flaw is the 16" front wheel. Bitch to get tires for. You should look into the shipping cost for a member here to box one up and put on a boat for you. My sister and her boyfriend who lived in London came for a visit here and bought a ton of camping gear and mountain bikes for less than half the cost in the UK then spent about 200 bucks to ship it all back and it arrived about 3 weeks after they got home in time for summer. Then again the pound was like 2.5 times the CAD $ at the time. Title might be the only issue. But there are plenty of cheap 360's around this side of the pond.

Hope you find the money before it goes. Thanks for the advice on shipping, I'll have to look into it when I've finished this bike.
 
just checking in... i would love to feature your bike when complete on my Facebook community page/website and blog.

let me know if i can quote you and use your photos.. cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom