82 KZ750M Cafe Build - Opinions and Feedback Appreciated!

tv_cafewannabe

New Member
Starting a new thread because I stepped away from the project for several months.

Link to original build thread
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71905.msg847124#msg847124

Here's the bike as it sat a few days ago. Since then I've gotten the frame welded up (pics coming).
open


My latest question - do I go with LED lighting (headlight, signals, and tail light) or stick with conventional? I've decided to keep the factory airbox in an effort to minimize the headaches of tuning the engine and so I'll be going with some sort of side covers - I'm thinking number plates at this point. So, I won't need to do a lithium cell battery and instead just do an AGM. So, what do you think? Make the LED jump and commit to the electrical system mods or just go with halogen headlight and incandescant bulbs for the marker lights?
 

Attachments

  • 20170630_163209.jpg
    20170630_163209.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 245

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
DTT BOTM WINNER
These are great motors. It's not that big of a deal to do LED signals, mostly just a relay swap.
 

tv_cafewannabe

New Member
Need some feedback.

What do you guys think about a fiberglass seat pan to cover the top frame tubing? The seat I have is shaped for a CB frame and my modifications look good from the side (in my opinion) but from above you can see the frame tubing outside the sides of the seat a bit near the gas tank. If I made a seat pan painted to match the tank (color still kind of tbd but leaning towards steel gray) would help blend things.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
DTT BOTM WINNER
tv_cafewannabe said:
Need some feedback.

What do you guys think about a fiberglass seat pan to cover the top frame tubing? The seat I have is shaped for a CB frame and my modifications look good from the side (in my opinion) but from above you can see the frame tubing outside the sides of the seat a bit near the gas tank. If I made a seat pan painted to match the tank (color still kind of tbd but leaning towards steel gray) would help blend things.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app

Just paint the frame and it will look way better than it does now. We'd have to see what you are thinking when you talk about fiberglass seats.
 

tv_cafewannabe

New Member
canyoncarver said:
Just paint the frame and it will look way better than it does now. We'd have to see what you are thinking when you talk about fiberglass seats.
Yeah, after I posted this I came up with an alternate mounting solution that I think will be better. I am such a fan of keeping the frame tubing exposed so it would seem backwards to me to cover it up on my own bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app
 

tv_cafewannabe

New Member
Fab'd up an electronics and battery tray to fit in the frame. First time working with sheet metal on this scale. Was able to use my bench vice, clamp table, and bits of bar stock and angle iron to rig up a "brake" for the bending. Happy I was able to make the whole thing from one piece of steel.
abc56ee31779042befd01ffe500200af.jpg

ad7aa3c2b0f85834c06408b185a6587f.jpg

68d3e692a03b7a8b2b0748011c3d6092.jpg

fd07aa49df27bcfb17e80de51fa9a273.jpg


Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
DTT BOTM WINNER
Nice job on the box. Did you consider going with a much smaller lithium ion bike battery?
 

tv_cafewannabe

New Member
canyoncarver said:
Nice job on the box. Did you consider going with a much smaller lithium ion bike battery?

I did, but because I knew I was going to be running the factory airbox (CV carbs and all that), and would be covering up the sides (going with number plates....to be delivered today!!!), I decided to go for a more traditional AGM battery. Lithium offers substantial weight savings but most people building minimalist style bikes are more attracted to the size reduction. In terms of performance, lithium packs a punch but unless you're willing to shell out a fair number of clams, the overall quality and reliability are questionable. So, in the spirit of KISS, I went with old reliable.
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
DTT BOTM WINNER
Cool. Well, I've had better luck with quality and reliability with lithium batteries than agm. Don't count them out in that regard. They cost more but imho they are worth it.
 

Sonreir

Oregon
DTT SUPPORTER
canyoncarver said:
Cool. Well, I've had better luck with quality and reliability with lithium batteries than agm. Don't count them out in that regard. They cost more but imho they are worth it.

Same.

You need to be aware of the limitations of LI-ION, but as long as you treat them right, they last a long ass time and have a lot of benefits.
 

modrocker

New Member
My Meriden Triumph is a somewhat different beast but being seen is important - I replaced the tail/brake light with a LED board and both can be seen even in the daytime.
 

tv_cafewannabe

New Member
modrocker said:
My Meriden Triumph is a somewhat different beast but being seen is important - I replaced the tail/brake light with a LED board and both can be seen even in the daytime.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going all LED indicators and headlight.
 

DTT Bike Of The Month Gallery

DTT Light or Dark

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com
www.speedmotoco.com
www.lostapostle.ca/
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom