'99 SV650 track rebuild

machined some block-offs for the temp sensor in the radiator, oil pressure switch, and neutral switch. I will make a block off for the fuel tank sensor when I drain it to paint it. I mounted all the electronics in one location. I've seen people put batteries here but never all the electrical components. Obviously not the best place for electronics on a street bike but on a race bike its probably fine? I'm going to switch all the connectors to watertight plugs since I more than likely will end up riding in the wet.

Wiring harness is stripped and I have pulled out what I need. I'm just waiting on a new starter solenoid and I will begin the wiring process.

IMG_1787.jpgIMG_1785.jpgIMG_1789.jpgIMG_1797.jpgIMG_1799.jpg
 
I did the same with the electronics on the last one I did. With the stripped down race harness it made the packaging pretty nice. For a race bike, it just made sense. Yours is looking good.
 
Looking really good. On my 2nd gen, I'm still really contemplating mounting the battery down there in order to play a little nicer with my custom subframe. This will be a somewhat daily bike, but still mostly fair weather and weekend stuff, so I'm not sure if I want to for that application or not.
 
there isn’t a convenient location on the cases to attach the battery ground in the new location. Not ideal but Can I ground to the cylinder or head?
 
there isn’t a convenient location on the cases to attach the battery ground in the new location. Not ideal but Can I ground to the cylinder or head?
I wouldn't think twice about bolting the ground to the head, that said on the second gen ones, they run the cable right to the starter mount bolt. Is it close to the starter on the 1st gen too?
 
I wouldn't think twice about bolting the ground to the head, that said on the second gen ones, they run the cable right to the starter mount bolt. Is it close to the starter on the 1st gen too?
The way the other cables are running coupled with the battery position, makes it not ideal to run it down there. It gets real tight on packaging in that area and the cables are not super flexible
 
I used a different ground cable on the last battery I mounted there. I think I ran it to a motor mount bolt or someplace on the frame. I didn't see a good way to use the stock ground. I just found one in my spare wiring stock. It was probably off a CB350 or FZ600.
 
Its all wired up. I used knock-off Deutsch connectors so everything is water tight down here. Still need to make it neat and tidy but it runs and everything seams to work - except the battery.

Brand new Shorai LFX-14. Battery was having trouble turning the engine over, charged it up seemed to work fine. Let it sit overnight and would hardly turn the bike over. checked for parasitic draw - none. I charged it again to 13.5VDC, then I checked the voltage under load and its 9.8VDC. Gonna let it sit for a few hours and test it again. I have until April 6 to initiate a return so I need to figure this out if this needs replacing.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Battery seems to be OK, i think maybe the battery charger wasn't charging for some reason.

Harness is all finished up and everything is painted black. I made an extra plate to try and keep the plugs in tighter and organized but i'm not really happy with it so i might remake it.

Went to fire it up and it was only running on 1 cylinder. Tore down the carbs and they had a decent amount of debris in them, pilot jet blocked. Cleaned out with new o-rings and its running sweet.

I checked the gas tank to see if it was rusty and if that was the source of the debris. This may be the cleanest vintage tank i have ever seen - not a fleck of rust. I think this bike has only had ethanol free fuel in it, so I'm not sure where the debris came from.

IMG_1865.jpg
IMG_1862.jpg
IMG_1846.jpg
IMG_1845.jpg
 
turned a block off plug for the fuel sensor - always fun to single point thread.

IMG_1872.jpg
IMG_1873.jpg
 
Last edited:
thank you. first track day is May 6 - gotta button this up!
 
Going very well keep up the good work.
Some days I like the contrast of the silver frame ten other day I think painting it is the go.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20201027_120407 (1).jpg
    IMG_20201027_120407 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Stock subframe - 7.5lbs New subframe -3.2 lbs

IMG_1911.jpg
IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1914.jpg
 
I'm a tall bastard and I found the stock seat too low. I wanted to raise the seat height. But adding an inch of foam on the stock seat made it look too chunky, jacking the seat up over the body work would look weird, so I raised the bodywork to accommodate as well. I'm not sure the lines work but i'm committed for now - hopefully the fairings help balance it out. I can vary the seat height by changing the height of the spacers.

IMG_1920.jpg
IMG_1921.jpgIMG_1922.jpgIMG_1919.jpgIMG_1916.jpgIMG_1917.jpgIMG_1917.jpgIMG_1918.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom