First Cafe project (CB450)

Assembly time.
 

Attachments

  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 206
Every time I see painted engine cases I'm tempted to do mine (which are apart and have been freshly soda-blasted) but I know I lack the patience or skill to do it up right and I'll have paint flaking off in 3 months from now. Looks awesome.
 
Tim said:
Every time I see painted engine cases I'm tempted to do mine (which are apart and have been freshly soda-blasted) but I know I lack the patience or skill to do it up right and I'll have paint flaking off in 3 months from now. Looks awesome.
Honestly I'm afraid of chipping too, but I'm just hoping for none. But I'm sure it'll happen due to road debris.

The bike will be ridden every once in a while, so hopefully that'll lower my chances.
 
I don't know what size your valve stems are but in the past I've used an automotive seal that the id was correct and trimmed the od if necessary. If your valve guides are in spec on the intakes, this won't be a problem if you can't find anything. They are not needed on the exhaust.
 
Doc. said:
Removed the old cush drive. What a pain in the ass.
Do you mind sharing how you did this? Painstaking process.


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.072121,-95.919025
 
wfo guy said:
I don't know what size your valve stems are but in the past I've used an automotive seal that the id was correct and trimmed the od if necessary. If your valve guides are in spec on the intakes, this won't be a problem if you can't find anything. They are not needed on the exhaust.
Man, if I would've known, I would've kept the exhaust ones on. I'm not sure exactly what their size is. I think I can find the seals, they're just way too expensive. I missed out on a great deal on ebay.
 
DashGordan said:
Do you mind sharing how you did this? Painstaking process.
Pretty much drove the inner metal out with a screw driver, pounding it, then drove the screw driver between the outer metal and the hole in the hub and crumbled it. It was a BITCH!
 
Thats not what i wanted to hear.

I'm liking this project. Not sure how I've missed it. I'll be that creepy guy looking over your shoulder from now on.

Keep up the tenacity.
 
DashGordan said:
Thats not what i wanted to hear.

I'm liking this project. Not sure how I've missed it. I'll be that creepy guy looking over your shoulder from now on.

Keep up the tenacity.
Haha yeah it's a bit pain and takes time, but really that's the only way I could think of doing it.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Dime City lists them... LINKY

Bikebandit.com has them listed as well. Put their part# 579460 in the search box here... LINKY
Yea I was aware of bike bandit, but wasn't thinking of DCC until late last night. I hate the fact that both places charge almost a third of the price for shipping. I never really understood DCC's ridiculous shipping charges. Oh well, part of the fun I guess.

Thanks btw!
 
Does anybody know what these seals are for? Maybe I haven't ran into that yet, but I can't figure it out. Also, the damn seal kit I bought shorted me out a seal for the shifter. Bastards.
 

Attachments

  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 224
Also, does the transmission look ok to everyone? I want to make sure I have everything the correct way and the forks in the right places before I seal her up.
 

Attachments

  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 232
Doc. said:
Does anybody know what these seals are for? Maybe I haven't ran into that yet, but I can't figure it out. Also, the damn seal kit I bought shorted me out a seal for the shifter. Bastards.
The top right seal looks like a steering bearing seal.
 
DashGordan said:
The top right seal looks like a steering bearing seal.
Yeah I was thinking that too, but it came with the engine seal kit. I'll just wait to see what I will need it for, haha.
 
Closed the cases up. The bottom as it sits now. Ordered new valve seals, new clutch, gasket set, and a couple of other little things today.
 

Attachments

  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    879 KB · Views: 219
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 279
A couple of updates...

Got the valve train back in, but it failed the acetone test. Just ordered a lapping tool and paste.

Also taped up the parts to be cleared. I'm not sure what I want to do with the cylinder jug though, whether to keep it original or paint it black to match the lower and the head. I might just paint it and sand the fin edges.
 

Attachments

  • 139.JPG
    139.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 219
  • image-3898311048.jpg
    image-3898311048.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 242
Btw, I don't recall this, but does anything go in this hole?
 

Attachments

  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 254
That is likely just a hole to allow oil to pass through but dont listen to me :p , anyone that knows these engines more should chime in!
 
Back
Top Bottom