Odometer question

Corsair

Not a Purist...just Traditional
OK, here in PA, a lot of attention is paid to the odometer reading on any vehicle. On my CB350F build, I'm using a set a gauges purchased off an ebay buyer. The reading does not match what the seller of the frame (Ohio resident) said was on it. My thought is....since this build is going to be an essentially new 40-year-old bike, Can I roll the odo back to zero, ofr will I have to use the mileage as stated by the guy I bought the frame from?

Yeah, I know that in a car a rollback is illegal, but what happens if you have to change the gauge cluster?

Hmmm...... ???
 

fallenallstar

New Member
I looked this up when I was planning on replacing my stock instruments with smaller units...

From the PA DMV inspection guidelines.
175.151. ODOMETERS.
Every motorcycle shall have an operating odometer calibrated to indicate total miles or kilometers driven, except motorcycles at least 25 years old.

So technically, you don't even need a functioning one. But most people will suggest keeping a record of the total in case you want to sell it.

You can grab the rest here if interested.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterH.pdf

-B
 

vuuduu21

Serously?
if you apply for antique tags they dont even ask for mileage. thats what i do w/ all my bikes that old. $75 licence good forever and you dont need anual inspection.
 

Corsair

Not a Purist...just Traditional
Re: Re: Odometer question

vuuduu21 said:
if you apply for antique tags they dont even ask for mileage. thats what i do w/ all my bikes that old. $75 licence good forever and you dont need anual inspection.
I didn't know antique plates were available for MC's. I have classic plates on my T/A and I remember how that worked.O0

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
 

vuuduu21

Serously?
as long as it's 25 yrs old. you can download the form off the penndot site, and mail it in with a check, your title, and 4 pictures, they send you a new title, and a plate in a week or so. ugly purple and white, and larger than the current plates.

they also have a program similar but instead of them giving you a new antique plate you can get a registration to match an existing older plate you have or matching the year of your vehical. I'm gonna check it out this spring when i get my Commando on the road.
 

gtxtom

New Member
Speaking of ugly antique plates ... My plate says zit :-\

577016_10151025056567735_214742992_n.jpg
 

MILLENNIUM FALCON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I live in pa and my bike passed inspection and it only has an airspeed gauge...nothing else. it is 34 years old.


painting010.jpg


My other bike has a brand new dash that had zero miles on it. The guy at the inspection station said that if its 25 years old it doesnt need one, but if it has one on it it has to work and they will record the milage that is currently on the odomerter.
(This bike it 30 years old)

DSC_0386.jpg


Corsair said:
OK, here in PA, a lot of attention is paid to the odometer reading on any vehicle. On my CB350F build, I'm using a set a gauges purchased off an ebay buyer. The reading does not match what the seller of the frame (Ohio resident) said was on it. My thought is....since this build is going to be an essentially new 40-year-old bike, Can I roll the odo back to zero, ofr will I have to use the mileage as stated by the guy I bought the frame from?

Yeah, I know that in a car a rollback is illegal, but what happens if you have to change the gauge cluster?

Hmmm...... ???
 

Corsair

Not a Purist...just Traditional
Re: Re: Odometer question

MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
I live in pa and my bike passed inspection and it only has an airspeed gauge...nothing else. it is 34 years old.


painting010.jpg


My other bike has a brand new dash that had zero miles on it. The guy at the inspection station said that if its 25 years old it doesnt need one, but if it has one on it it has to work and they will record the milage that is currently on the odomerter.
(This bike it 30 years old)

DSC_0386.jpg
Love the airspeed gauge......too cool!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
 

Corsair

Not a Purist...just Traditional
Re: Re: Odometer question

vuuduu21 said:
as long as it's 25 yrs old. you can download the form off the penndot site, and mail it in with a check, your title, and 4 pictures, they send you a new title, and a plate in a week or so. ugly purple and white, and larger than the current plates.

they also have a program similar but instead of them giving you a new antique plate you can get a registration to match an existing older plate you have or matching the year of your vehical. I'm gonna check it out this spring when i get my Commando on the road.
Miight have to see about the plate from the year of the bike....that sounds cool.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
 

RustyRivets

Suck it, Trebek.
MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
I live in pa and my bike passed inspection and it only has an airspeed gauge...nothing else. it is 34 years old.


painting010.jpg


My other bike has a brand new dash that had zero miles on it. The guy at the inspection station said that if its 25 years old it doesnt need one, but if it has one on it it has to work and they will record the milage that is currently on the odomerter.
(This bike it 30 years old)

DSC_0386.jpg

Holy crap! That is insanely cool! I want to ask if it's functional/how...but I feel you may have already gotten into that in the part that I have yet to read (which I will). SO if you explained already, awesome stuff. If not, please explain if/how that thing works.
 

MILLENNIUM FALCON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Thanks! Yup it works......quite well actually. I had a lot of people ask that so I made a video back when I built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wGv4nyi8mA&list=UUlEKC42cNW5o6vk4Miy0MSw&index=15
 

RustyRivets

Suck it, Trebek.
MILLENNIUM FALCON said:
Thanks! Yup it works......quite well actually. I had a lot of people ask that so I made a video back when I built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wGv4nyi8mA&list=UUlEKC42cNW5o6vk4Miy0MSw&index=15

Wow, very impressive. I may just scrap my current gauges for one of those.
 

DTT Bike Of The Month Gallery

DTT Light or Dark

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
shop.themotoworks.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com
www.speedmotoco.com
www.lostapostle.ca/
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom