Pair of Yamaha xv920s.

So after staring at the taillight all day while at work, I decided to take the old Falcon lens and make a housing for it out of steel. The plastic just wasn't settling well with me. I started with a steering hub off a 71 Vw beetle and then cut a section of 3 in collector, that got me close. I am using the stock license plate bracket for the brake light and license plate holder. Not sure on the exact mount position yet. It is a bit large, but if I have learned anything riding all these years, it is nice to be seen when stopping. :) I have way more time into this than the 30-40 bucks I would have spent, but have enjoyed the challenge.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4508[1].JPG
    IMG_4508[1].JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,259
  • IMG_4510[1].JPG
    IMG_4510[1].JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,246
Looking good mang. I would run 1/4 tube on the edges to give it some dimension 1/8th is gonna disappear in 5 feet... I like these bikes and getting the ride height up is really gonna make it shine for riding... I would need risers haha!

Typical painter... dust everywhere :-\
 
Tune-A-Fish said:
Looking good mang. I would run 1/4 tube on the edges to give it some dimension 1/8th is gonna disappear in 5 feet... I like these bikes and getting the ride height up is really gonna make it shine for riding... I would need risers haha!

Typical painter... dust everywhere :-\

Thanks man. HEHEHE. The dust is from the guitar building. I have a vacuum sanding bench that catches a good portion of the prep for paint, but the damn wood work makes a mess. That is what my apprentices are for. :)
 
I finally got the right combination riser, top tree and bar set up for the Viagro. It is a 83 top tree, and later VX110 risers. I had to put them toward the front, but it is still pretty comfortable.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4512[1].jpg
    IMG_4512[1].jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 223
Oh ya. Just for kicks, I threw the tank from the kz650 on it....and fell in love. :) So does this make my bike...a Yomama Saki? :) I am going to pick up a few more tanks over the weekend and experiment. Not much modification will be needed for the Kawi tank.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4513[1].jpg
    IMG_4513[1].jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 221
Had a little fun after work today. :) May have to do a casting and acrylic badges for tank.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4514[1].jpg
    IMG_4514[1].jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 224
I'll be honest with you, the tail light isn't working for me. What about an integrated LED strip? Motogadget makes one.
 
XVRacer said:
I'll be honest with you, the tail light isn't working for me. What about an integrated LED strip? Motogadget makes one.

Ya it isn't sitting with me either. So much for being a cheap ass bastard. :) I ordered this one a couple days ago from ebay.
 

Attachments

  • $_32.jpg
    $_32.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 220
I finished up the tank mount and modified the forward mount for the rear frame section. There is some sheetmetal modification coming up to compensate for the difference in the rear of the tanks meeting up with the tail section. Now I can sit on it and go ....vroooom...vrooooooom. :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4515[1].jpg
    IMG_4515[1].jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 221
I like the new tank on there. Is gravity still working in your favor as far as the location of the petcock in the back?
 
B541Niner said:
I like the new tank on there. Is gravity still working in your favor as far as the location of the petcock in the back?
'
It is. I may lose just a bit. It sits just a bit higher in the rear. Maybe a degree off from horizontal.
 
Back from a trip to AZ, good to be cutting and welding again. I finished up the rear section, mounting light and rear tank mount. All of the final welding finished up as well. I had to ad a filler section between the metal tail section and the tank, now that I had the tank mount finished. The rear of tank is rubber mounted using a Harley tank rubber grommet insert with bushing. Bit of grinding, some mud and primer, good to go.

I reworked the airfilter box for exposed element. I am still going to integrate some kind of cover over the front of box yet. Not sure exactly, but it will come to me.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4602[1].JPG
    IMG_4602[1].JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_4601[1].JPG
    IMG_4601[1].JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4600[1].JPG
    IMG_4600[1].JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_4596[1].JPG
    IMG_4596[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 225
Today I got to spend a bit of time figuring out clearances on the controls and tank. It will need a bit of refinement on the stop mounted on the head of the frame. Not much, but turning to the right, it hits. It looks as though someone one has cut the one side of the stop block welded to frame. I also blasted the switch and lever assemblies after smoothing out the levers and adding a few holes for the hell of it.

I painted a guitar with the paintjob on my bike in mind. Wanted to see how the technique would work out before I spend time on the bike. I also ran across two other builds I fabricated, painted and assembled.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4643[1].JPG
    IMG_4643[1].JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 705
  • 1922343_10153169758434131_2218812364000936051_n.jpg
    1922343_10153169758434131_2218812364000936051_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 1013626_10153169754039131_7788552893507980834_n.jpg
    1013626_10153169754039131_7788552893507980834_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 707
  • 13096086_957735747627945_5869837042173194384_n.jpg
    13096086_957735747627945_5869837042173194384_n.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 719
Back
Top Bottom