1976 Honda CB360T - The first step is admitting I have a problem build

It's all 360 stuff so is useful to someone ;D
This is sorta the CB360 owners thread 8)
 
Yup, if it's about a 360, it should be here. If it's not about a 360, it should be here as well. It's the *.* thread of DTT! ;D

My tank gasket arrived today, but no sign of the petcock. Maybe it will arrive in Saturday's mail. Oh well, it's been too cold and wet to ride much anyway.
 
If you have the head off, or plan to remove the head, you might just want to take it to a machine shop and pay the $50 for someone else to deal with the broken studs. Just a thought...
 
crazypj said:
It's all 360 stuff so is useful to someone ;D
This is sorta the CB360 owners thread 8)

Well in that case...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59894.0
 
Sonreir said:
Well in that case...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59894.0

Woooooo, new 360 slippers and tensioners! Thanks Matt, I'm sure this will help keep a lot of 360s on the road.
 
Next we need a roller bearing conversion for the cam, and our lives will be complete...
 
mydlyfkryzis said:
Next we need a roller bearing conversion for the cam, and our lives will be complete...

I'd settle for a bike that would rev over 4k...the new petcock did not make a difference. I even tried swapping the points back on and that made things even worse...
 
Take it up to where the miss-fire happens, hit kill switch and pull plugs.
Take pictures, post so everyone can take a look
Pull tops off carbs and check diaphragms, just in case (or did you do that already?)
 
Ok, I picked up some new plugs today, so I'll give the plug chop a try. I've looked at the diaphragms and they seem fine, but I'm going to try pulling the pods and sticking my endoscope-style USB camera in the carbs to see if the slides are moving properly.

I spent the day in the garden, as the bikes have been giving me fits lately. One of the head bolts in the Interceptor stripped its threads out as I was torquing it (to only 27 ft/lbs!), so I have to pull the head (again) and heli-coil the block. Of course this was the very last of the head bolts :P

On the plus side, nothing failed to rev over 4k, stripped out, or ran out of gas in the garden...the joys of wood chips...
 
If Matt can sell those for $75 and still put food on the table, he may of devalued my my motorcycle by $100. Used sets are asking $150....

That's why I jumped on it. Great price, even at full retail. "Sonreir, his prices are INSANE"
 
I may have solved the the 4k RPM issue - I swapped the original jet needles back onto the carb slides, and now the thing runs great. I noticed that fuel was getting past the needles when it was revved up to about 2-3k RPMs without the slides moving, and discovered that the needles were kind of loose in the slides. It looks like there should be a spring between the needle and the retaining screw, but there's nothing on the parts diagrams or in the manual.

In any case, keeping it idling after it heats up is still a bit weird, but it does run great now! ;D
 
Worst cb650 ever said:
Ok, I picked up some new plugs today, so I'll give the plug chop a try. I've looked at the diaphragms and they seem fine, but I'm going to try pulling the pods and sticking my endoscope-style USB camera in the carbs to see if the slides are moving properly.

I spent the day in the garden, as the bikes have been giving me fits lately. One of the head bolts in the Interceptor stripped its threads out as I was torquing it (to only 27 ft/lbs!), so I have to pull the head (again) and heli-coil the block. Of course this was the very last of the head bolts :P

On the plus side, nothing failed to rev over 4k, stripped out, or ran out of gas in the garden...the joys of wood chips...

I've had that happen on a couple of different Honda's, happened to me on my XR350. Luckily I got it apart and helicoiled in time to go racing though ;D

The needles need to be loose in slides, they center themselves.
I've checked quite a few after market needles, the K&L needles seem to be OK but the pilot jets needs some major modifications to make them same a stock Kei-Hin
If possible I use genuine Kei-Hin pilot jets. Needles are a problem to measure real accurate but if length and major diameter is OK I'll use after market
 
Yea, the heli-coil saga was epic - I initially messed up and installed a M9 heli-coil, not realizing that it was an M8 thread. I realized my mistake, tried not to throw anything, and then realized I hadn't installed the (wrong) heli-coil deep enough in the hole in the block. Therefore, I was able to remove the wrong heli-coil, drill and tap the deeper threads, and install an M8 hell-coil. That bolt got torqued to the lower end of the torque spec ;D

I think that the aftermarket 360 needles were too loose in the slides - they had up and down travel, not just side to side. They were jumping out of the jet at low RPMs, making the mixture too rich. Now I just need to stabilize the idle so it is not too low but not at 2k-3k either. Yeesht.
 
Wow, never seen after market needles too short although the 'quality' is really variable.
You may have enough space to fit a washer on top of them?
That would cure several problems with mid range?
I've been meaning to try machining seating in slide a little deeper(0.50mm) but don't want to rick messing up a good slide or two.
I made a special clamp to hold slide long time ago, maybe I'll try with the scrap ones I have here
 
Worst cb650 ever said:
Ok, I picked up some new plugs today, so I'll give the plug chop a try. I've looked at the diaphragms and they seem fine, but I'm going to try pulling the pods and sticking my endoscope-style USB camera in the carbs to see if the slides are moving properly.

It would be awesome if you could post a video of that.
 
crazypj said:
Wow, never seen after market needles too short although the 'quality' is really variable.
You may have enough space to fit a washer on top of them?
That would cure several problems with mid range?
I've been meaning to try machining seating in slide a little deeper(0.50mm) but don't want to rick messing up a good slide or two.
I made a special clamp to hold slide long time ago, maybe I'll try with the scrap ones I have here

I thought about fitting a washer above the needle and carefully tightening down the retaining screw thing, but I think that would get rid of any ability of the needle to self center. I think the better option would be to get a small spring that would fit inside the hole in the retaining screw (which looks designed to hold a spring) and provide downward pressure on the needle. That way, the needle could still move, but it would be held against the bottom of the slide so that it would not easily move up and down in the slide. If I keep having issues I'll try to find a small spring at the hardware to do just this.

Thinking about it, the spring from a retracting ball point pen might do the trick if you cut it down. Hmm.
 
Back
Top Bottom