Bolt on Rear Set Design for my CJ360 Build

SquadraCorse

Coast to Coast
I decided to make some bolt on rear set mounts since it doesn't seem that there is an off the shelf solution for a bolt on setup. Not that I have an aversion to welding plates on, but I think the bolt on ones would look pretty trick. The CJ360 frame on the cafe I'm building lends itself well to this kind of setup. I ordered the material which should be here next week along with the Tarozzi rear sets. I'll have these made by the end of the week hopefully. The mount assemblies will weigh about .5lb each. Which i can live with....

rearsetclampblock.jpg

mountassembly.jpg

rearsetmount.jpg
 
cool design... you could really optimize it for production, I think there's a lot of people out there without welders that would buy them for the right price...
 
Thanks for the input Sean. I designed it up to span the loop in the frame so there would be no twisting moment on the clamps when you stood on the pegs. If it was just one clamp I would be worried about it twisting on the frame. Also this allows for position adjustment It would be nice to offer a complete off the shelf rear set kit (linkages and all) for Honda twins. Wouldn't be cheap though. I'd have to look into the quantity pricing.

I just ordered a seat from you last week. I'll post a pic of the rear sets and seat up after they're on there.
 
agreed, it would be hard to make it profitable, I'd try to design it so that they could all be one part for most of the operations, then one half of the parts gets a final low precision cut. maybe a taper or roll pin would solve the twisting issue for production...
 
Those look cool. The cb200 has that rail as well. I doubt its the same dim. though. I kindof like the rail, so youve got a good idea keeping it around. Ive seen people hack it off & weld on tabs, but I kinda like the rail.
 
Seems like you've got 2 too many pieces. Why not integrate the center piece with the two outer pieces of the clamps? Would save you 2 fasteners as well. Other than the chamfers and the counterbores, it would still be a one sided machining.

Sorry, my minimum weight design tendencies are kicking in. :)
 
Flugtechnik said:
Seems like you've got 2 too many pieces. Why not integrate the center piece with the two outer pieces of the clamps? Would save you 2 fasteners as well. Other than the chamfers and the counterbores, it would still be a one sided machining.

Sorry, my minimum weight design tendencies are kicking in. :)

These are getting machined by hand, not CNC'd. There is definitely a sexier way of doing this, but I based the design off of available stock ($$$ was a factor) and the facilities at my disposal. Also, having separate clamp blocks allows me to position them in the best way, and make the joining plate around that. The plate that's shown is tentative at the moment and will likely have to me tweaked slightly. I'll design that one "as built" ;D
 
overdraft said:
alrighty smart dudes! wtf is a 'bridgeport'?

it's the coolest toy you'll ever own ;)

er... my machinist friend has a bridgeport with a prototrack controller though... that takes the cake
 
rockcitycafe said:
it's the coolest toy you'll ever own ;)

er... my machinist friend has a bridgeport with a prototrack controller though... that takes the cake

Bridgeport is a machine tool company. The Bridgeport name is pretty much linked to their vertical milling machine, which is the industry standard and has been for about 70 years. The things you can produce with a Bridgeport/prototrack combo is pretty impressive. They're so easy to program as well. Definitely the next best thing to a CNC.
 
Wow resurrected thread. I've scrapped this project and parted it out so I never got around to manufacturing these. The raw material cost wasn't that much, probably under 30 bucks. It would be a lot of machine time though.
 
Back
Top Bottom