Cafe Racer Reliability?

Schwebel

New Member
So as I'm pondering the extent of my project(1973 CB450), I started wondering about the reliability of a 30 some year old bike. I really want something I can just get on, and have fun, and maybe make a venture out yonder without having to worry about breaking down. So I'm wondering if I should be "pre-emptive" about my project. Should I do a complete engine teardown, pistons, gaskets, etc, and also just replace all the electrical wear componets just to be safe? I just put a new clutch in, not really b/c it needed it right now, but b/c it would in a while, also new chain, tires, brake componets and headlight are on the way. The bike really could go awhile without that stuff, but I figured since I'm kinda staring from scratch. I'm starting to lean towards a complete rebuild, rather than a freshining up, only problem is.....that means more time I have to wait before I'm smoking down the road. Just kinda wanted to hear peeps, thoughts and/or opinions on this. :D
 
My CB450 is my 2nd "vintage" bike I have built, so I offer you my experience...
Both of my bikes were/are 100% reliable, but that didnt happen overnight.
Any new project is gonna have it's bugs to be worked out, and that just takes time..

When you first start tearing into the bike, replace all the "wear" items with new, high quality parts.
I stress new becasue their is no reason to replace a bad clutch cable with another used one you bought offa ebay (makes no sense to me)..Things like the cables, clutch (even if you really dont need it), brakes shoes/pads, tires, plugs, wires, oil change, air filters, chain, sprockets (if they are bad), bushings, shocks (if needed), etc...
Basically go front to back on the bike and anything you can think of replacing do. Doesnt matter if you have the baddest looking bike in town, you will still look like a fool pushing it when your 30+ year old clutch cable snaps ! ;D

Once you get the bike running and reliable THEN start tearing into it, to make it look how you want. I know a bunch of people who have done this the opposite way, and have nothing but issues.

Get the bike running - then make it your own (my 2cents)..
 
Get your carbs done...
THen pick away... but get the carbs done (or do a really good home job).
My bike starts first flick now - didn't always.
Also, replace the spark plug boots and check your alternator brushes - replace if at all necessary.
 
Look at it this way, everything on your bike is 30+ years old. All the rubber and gaskets have been around for a long time and those materials eventually break down. I have yet to see an original, unrebuilt motor that didn't leak something. If you get one count yourself lucky, at least for the time being. I suggest do everything that needs to be done at the moment and repair as you go along.
 
speaking of...what would the syptoms of a low/poorly charging battery be? Everything was great until my last ride...it seems to be harder to start and it will just die at a stop for no good reason......I know my carbs are mint and I know my timing/ignition are straight...I've just gone through it all and it's good....I'm suspecting weak spark....The electric start will turn the motor but will not fire it but it will start with a kick.....hmmmmm :-[
 
It's only abot a year and half old....I charged it tonight and while the bike started easier I'm still ahving some issues. Doesn't seem to want to start with the choke on and I'm getting some popping at the carbs...like I said I'm 99.999% certain my carbs are straight... I struggled a long time tuning them and finally got them squared away. I'm thinking it may be an ignition issue, my advance unit sticking again....
 
Back
Top Bottom