CB 550K FOUND! With pix.....

Hoser

New Member
Greetings all:
First off, great site you've all got here. I've been trolling through for a few days now, it looks like a place I could get comfy in pretty quick.

Second, i came across a pretty nice 1978 CB 550K, 31k, original tires (or so I'm told), 1 previous owner, original seat cover, even original sludge in the carbs! I picked the bike up for The Missus, she's going for her M license; the price was right too, an even trade for a 2hp Honda outboard. I've even managed to get 'er running, sorta. So far I've;

1- Drained the 23 year old gas (why do people leave gas in like that?)
2- "Kreemed" the gas tank interior- highly recommened, the interior was heavily corroded, no holes though.
3- Drained and cleaned the carb bowls.
4- Replaced the oil & oil filter.
5- Replaced the brake fluid.
6- Installed new spark plugs.
7- "Patched" a few small holes in the pipes; cross yer fingers!
8- Adjusted the valves, gonna recheck though.
9- Adjusted the point gaps, haven't done the timing yet.
10- Adjusted the cam chain.
11- Installed a new battery.

I still need to acquire a new air filter, brake pads, and a new tappet cover to replace the one I broke. New tires are on order, with new inner tubes, $163 all in! The last time I bought a motorcycle tire it was near double that!

The bike now runs, kinda, starts right up strong on full choke, settles down to a nice idle, but needs a whack of clutch riding to get going. stalls when moving too. I'll get that sorted this week I hope.

the real question is this; would any of the fine members 'round this forum have any suggestions as to where I could acquire a Cafe seat and a bullet fairing for this bike? Maybe even an alloy tank for it? See, when The Missus is done with it it's time to take that nice original seat and gas tank off, and caff it up! I've seen a 450 that had been bitched up in this manner and man, did it look sweet!
 
Try Airtech at http://www.motorcyclebodywork.com/. Just go down to "vintage fairings" for their selection of tanks, fairings and seats.

"Glass from the Past" http://caferacingparts.com/ more seats, tanks, etc.

Unity Equipe http://www.unityequipe.com/html/home.html One of the best brit sites, if you check out the catalog they also make the alum "Manx" tanks with a CB750 base, which can be made to fit a 550 by trimming the forward mounting studs 1/4" (see avatar for 750F tank on a my 550)

The Tank Shop http://www.thetankshop.com/ Will build you anything for the right price moneybags !

And then of course there's always Ebay...

Good luck with the project, sounds like a rebuild/synch of the carbs is in order! ;D
 
Hoser said:
The bike now runs, kinda, starts right up strong on full choke, settles down to a nice idle, but needs a whack of clutch riding to get going. stalls when moving too. I'll get that sorted this week I hope.

the real question is this; would any of the fine members 'round this forum have any suggestions as to where I could acquire a Cafe seat and a bullet fairing for this bike? Maybe even an alloy tank for it? See, when The Missus is done with it it's time to take that nice original seat and gas tank off, and caff it up! I've seen a 450 that had been bitched up in this manner and man, did it look sweet!

hey Welcome to the site!!..
Im glad you found us.. nice bike.

REgarding your clutch, try re-adjusting it. That "Bang" you hear when you slap into first sounds like its not fully open when you pull the clutch lever in. Besides, I'd recommend you put all new cables anyhow.

Regarding the cafe seat: It you are in the Toronto area, call Pat Cowan at: (905) 873-3171, pacomotorstuff@cogeco.ca
He's in Georgetown and makes all kinds of beautiful fiberglass seats for fairly inexpensive. He does a lot of work for the local VRRA guys.

Also, you can make one for failry cheap like a lot of us did: Check out the threads:
Mine:
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=7.0
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=736.0
Ryan's:
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1032.0
KZRomey's:
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=859.0

Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom