CB350 wiring

chrisf

Over 1,000 Posts
OK, so I found some time whilst traveling to design my wiring diagram. To me, everything makes sense, but I'm hoping another set of eyes can go over it. The nonconventional parts are 1.) the use of three small batteries; 2.) the use of a relay (not that huge relay Honda uses); 3.) the disuse of the starter itself.

If anything is glaring, please let me know.

MotoWiring1.jpg


--Thanks, Chris
 
Although this is an old post I hope this helps anyone else reading it:
I don't need daylight running lights (the diagram shows daylight running low beam) so you should have the white altenator wire connected. That white wire is an extra winding that gets switched in to provide extra power for the lights. (from memory, one winding is used for the engine and 2 more are switched in for the lights) On mine, I have all 3 windings in use and use 2x6 Volt rechargeable torch gel cells wired in series as the battery.
I also didn't use the relay as the wires I used are short and heavy. The headlight switch is able to carry the lights current and I ran a heavy wire to the ignition switch and then to the coils. For charging, the rectifier is an electronic silicon bridge with the standard Honda regulator. Ignition is by standard points with 2x5 ohm sports coils and silicon leads. Starts first prod on the kickstart. I use 1x15AMP inline fuses close to the battery. Haven't blown a fuse yet. Make sure the earth lead is big enough and well fixed to the frame.


IMG_0174s.JPG
 
You're 100% right. One this was sorted, the charging system works fine. I used the entire seat pan tray as the grounding point. Some say it's not the best place, but I've something similar on my se7en and it has 1500 miles and a few hours of track time.

Then again, I ran 99% of my grounding leads to a single post that is shared with the battery ground

--Chris
 
Another option would be to use a double toggle switch,that being one side of the switch is for starting(trw 500 truimphs had this option when the battery was dead) then switch to lighting,A VRRA member has raced his bike for over ten years without a battery and installed a capacitor,BUT Canada transport dictates that a parking light must work! ,,,,,,,you can eliminate the battery(s),,
 
Back
Top Bottom