CB750K7 Cafe Racer Build

By the way, have you ever found K&N pods or the like that can house the rubber stacks inside them? I've decided not to use the stock airbox but don't want to abandon the rubber velocity stacks that I just bought
 
I took around 20 pictures from various angles as those springs worried me and still do. Fingers crossed.
I bought the recommended K&N's for this model but they don't fit so I spoke with K&N directly and we sorted it out. I know the recommended part number is RC-2314 but that is incorrect. I can't remember the correct one right now but I'll flag it up tomorrow. As to fitting the pods to rubber velocity stacks I'm not sure how that would work? The K&N's have a rubber flange that secures to the carb' throat with a jubilee clip (similar to the stock velocity stacks) so you would need a metal sleeve to connect the two. Hmm, I'll have a look.....
 
You're right with the fitment, I was thinking of almost forcing them into the pods since they are pliable and then stretching the whole thing over the carb.
 
You may have to be careful that the rubber on the stacks doesn't pucker as the rubber on the K&N's is hard and very unforgiving. You could cut a pre-determined 'V' from the 'stack rubber so that it closes together once slipped in and clamped but, rubber on rubber, how will you clamp that? Maybe we're not talking about the same thing here but I see a short length of perghaps aluminium or stainless (thinner wall, less turbulance) tube acting as an internal bridge. It'll give the joint regidity otherwise those pods are going to be bouncing up and down like......well, I'll leave that to your imagination.
 
Carb update
 

Attachments

  • Carb deep clean.jpg
    Carb deep clean.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 135 Main jet .jpg
    135 Main jet .jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 465

Attachments

  • Carb:Pods 2.jpg
    Carb:Pods 2.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 383
  • Carbs clean finished.jpg
    Carbs clean finished.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Carb:Pods 1.jpg
    Carb:Pods 1.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 397
  • No rust. I don't like rust…..jpg
    No rust. I don't like rust…..jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 436
Hey Finnigan, you were right, Sir. I had them in bits four or five times trying to hook-up all the linkages and springs in the right order. They work fine now though. I'll get them on the motor and ping a picture over. Wife has girlfriends over this evening so plenty of quality shop time today.......
 
Nicely done!
BTW are you using F carbs? How hard do you have to push on the throttle linkage to activate your accelerator pump? I ask because even though mine are cleaned and 'ready' the accelerator pump doesnt seem to want to spring into action. I'll also find out when its all running
 
Hi canyoncarver and welcome. Feel free to assist, criticise, shout, scream....whatever. Just let me know if I'm doing something stooopid or if it all gets a little too dull.
Hi Finnigan. The UK K7 model shares a lot of parts with the F. If I'm correct the F replaced the earlier K series bikes here but that pis*ed off a lot of people as it only had one exhaust pipe. So, I think Honda went looking in the parts bin and came up with the K7. In my opinion I'm not sure it worked as it just isn't as cool as any other K0,1,2,3,4,5 or 6. Although it was still a great bike, that's why I didn't feel bad about chopping mine.
I know there is stuff on the SOHC forum about accelerator pumps and how they seem to prefer not to work properly so I'll let you know if mine are troublesome and keep an ear out for your particular issue.
Thanks guys.
 

Attachments

  • Carbs on..jpg
    Carbs on..jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 405
Hi Finnigan. I just checked those Honda part numbers for the carbs' and they are different for the F we got here. I'd think the differences are minimal though. They are listed as unavailable but £2500 if they were. Nuts or what!!!
 
Brother, that ain't never gonna happen! Just when I save up to buy something really cool the car dies, I get a tax bill, new roof, cat needs a new leg, divorce, crazy period, marriage, and so it goes...........
 
Doctor Jones said:
Brother, that ain't never gonna happen! Just when I save up to buy something really cool the car dies, I get a tax bill, new roof, cat needs a new leg, divorce, crazy period, marriage, and so it goes...........

I think that's called "life" and it gets in the way of all our plans.
 
Those were not good, but the price should have been a tip. 50 quid is not nearly enough to strip dip and assemble a set of carbs. It takes hours to do one set and reassemble them. That might just cover one carb, not on a rack. I'd chalk it up to experience.

The idea of velocity stacks inside pods is a good one but you have to "manually" select a suitable pod filter that will fit over a stack and have enough room to breathe. Easier with Ramair or UNI filters

The idea of velocity stacks inside pods is a good one but you have to "manually" select a suitable pod filter that will fit over a stack and have enough room to breathe.

Keep those SS cap screws but try not to overtighten them. That's a nice upgrade over stock strippable screw heads.
 
Bling or purpose???
 

Attachments

  • Rear Brake Panel 1.jpg
    Rear Brake Panel 1.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 366
  • Rear Brake Panel 2.jpg
    Rear Brake Panel 2.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 478
Thanks Teazer. I didn't know what to expect but I do now. He just asked for the bowls to be removed. I feel like a total Muppet but I'm glad i stripped them myself. Good lessons always seem to cost, eh?
 
Wow, what a great thread! Better detail and much better pictures than a workshop manual. I may actually learn something. Dr. Fastidious indeed!!
 
Back
Top Bottom