Chops?

sclay115

Been Around the Block
Not sure if this has been covered on here before, as I'm still pretty new on this board. But what do you guys/gals think of choppers/bobbers? I have been toying with the idea recently of building a cool looking scoot to ride for long distances, which is basically the polar opposite of the cafe. One company I do quite like is Nash Motorcycles out of Washington. http://www.nashmotorcycle.com/

granted, I don't like ALL the designs and what not, but just something simple, clean, and almost comfortable(almost). Just more so than rearsets and clip ons.

Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about bright orange/green/skulled up choppers with a 6 foot front end. But smaller tire, springer fronts with a reasonable rake angle, one that can actually be ridden, hard. But to shorten your trip, this is one my personal favorites from the Nash brothers:

sancho3.jpg



So. What do you folks think? I could see myself riding one, what about you?

Steve
 
I think you'll find a large contingent of both choppers and bobber fans here. I'm one myself, and love the bike you've posted. I'd be more than proud to have that in my collection :D

My next project will undoubtedly be a bobber. I'm working on an XS650 right now, and if I hadn't had a British alloy tank for it at the beginning, I very likely would have gone the bobber route vs. the 50s/60s Triton style cafe racer I'm building now.

I'd also love a vintage chopper, but just don't have room in the garage for something like that. Not until I ditch the car anyhow.
 
My brother & I are in agreement on this... bobbers rock! Would love one for cruising... as my body gets older and older (40 by the time the spring comes) I think clip-ons and rear-sets will become less & less attractive ::)

Next build after the GS400 for Tracey will be a bobber for myself.
 
I like it all... Not a fan of any kind of raked out front end though - pretty useless...
I guess that makes me a bobber fan?

I want to build a chopper out of an xs (because I can't afford a sportster), but I think it would be more of a bobber... with apes.
 
Zero Engineering turns my crank:

l_6bf75e6ef0644e087d528b6ff93246f2.jpg


l_81069970b9299d2ac3fbd91400eab60d.jpg


Spotted at the Paris swap meet in 2006:

l_1ee4752783c07587691129df3172f7bb.jpg


In my neighbourhood:

l_7d5045534562cc70a893e6b35a14265b.jpg


If I ever built a chopper/bobber it would be based on this bike:

l_cf94fa64533e410c8870d44df25a2688.jpg
 
My next project is most likely gonna be a CB450 based bobber (like the main pic above)..
Why not get the triumph look with the reliability of a Honda powerplant ? ;D
 
Built two chops and one bobber before this project. Like 'em and will build another. I have found that my lil cafe gets 5 times more attention and questions than my others ever did. 'Round here (TX) chops and billet barges are VERY mainstream. There are only about 20 or so Cafe in this area.

I also get alot of attention on my bikes cause I tend to use "Underpowered" bikes to build from, like my cb250. Will probably do my next ones out of CB750's for more comfort.
 
Here is my '98 Sporty chop in progress. I've cut the frame, made it rigid, and need to finish welding the backbone and downtubes.
160_6012.jpg

160_6013.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom