CL350 Oil Drain Plug Seized

scramb

New Member
Bit of a general question here. I've got a seized oil drain plug in my CL350 K0.

I've already sheared the drive off a 1/2" ratchet with breaker bar on this guy. I've stripped the bolt head as well, but a 19mm bolt extractor socket is grabbing nicely for now. I've switched to air impact, PB blasted consistently, tried warming the bike up, and used freeze-off on the bolt. Nothing working so far.

I have yet to try taking a flame to the bolt head. The oil smells faintly gassy--should that be cause to avoid this method? Has anyone else used heat successfully down there? Are there other options?
 
.
its impossible to break a 1/2" ratchet on that bolt unless it was made in think because the threads in the aluminum will strip first.

freeze off off crap, exactly what was your technique you used with it?

you can get four paper plates and put them together and cut a hole in them that is the same size as the bolt head.

tip the bike on its side a little so you can access the bottom of the engine.

place the paper plates over the bolt to protect the aluminum.

get 2 cans of "Dust Off" from the hardware or computer store and turn one upside down and spray the bolt head for 10 seconds.

let it sit for 10 seconds then spray it for 20 more seconds.

immediately try to remove the bolt.

if the bolt does not spin pretty easily as soon as it breaks free, the threads in your engine will likely strip.
.
 
Back
Top Bottom