Clevis Help for Rear Master Cylinder

GS750cafe

Been Around the Block
Here's a mock up of the new (controversial) rearsets from Thailand. The back of the brake lever doesn't line up with the push rod of the master cylinder. Any suggestions? I did a search for clevis' on the link above abut didn't see any metric ones that looked like they might work.


Cheers

P1000670.jpg
 
That master is too big.

Maybe its just the angle of the pic but the brake lever is too high as well. your toes will be pointed at the ground while riding with rearsets remember.

Could you take the rearsets apart and flip the lever over?

That looks like it would give you the needed angles.
 
Yeah, those angles are off.

If you can flip the lever, you might be able to fix the offset by unbolting the MC and spacing it outward.

You also might be able to take a clevis from a shifter linkage and adapt it to the MC pushrod rather than the shifter rod.


Another question: What's to keep those clamps from rotating around the frame tube?

I can foresee problems if you stand on the pegs, they rotate (possibly spitting you off when your foot falls to the moving pavement) and now the rear swingarm can come up and make an even bigger mess.

It seems to me that welding bosses onto the frame for the rearsets to bolt to is a better solution than those clamps.
 
Thanks for the input guys. I know the angle of the brake lever is too high; it's just resting against the MC. Ideally it would be another 10-15 degrees lower. I thought about flipping the lever, but was hoping for a solution with the proper clevis.

As for the clamps, I thought i'd give them a try - they were pretty cheap. I just got a MIG welder though, so if they don't seem adequate, I can weld some brackets on.
 
Ya know... Honestly, the arm really looks upside down to me. Maybe Im nuts, but that would be my route. Flipping the arm.
 
what i would do if possible is swap the arms from side to side and see if that helps matters so the levers are at least bent the same way and its only 2 bolts.
 
no sir, i don't like it... i think you should scrap the whole area where you're mounting the cylinder and mount it so you have some space between the threaded rod and your rearset, so you can add an adjustable section of threaded rod with locknuts. even if you get it working in present condition, there's really no means of adjustment, which you're really going to want
 
I would make a heel guard and mount master cylinder to it an inch or two higher.
You can also mount it far enough out to fit clevis
 
Or change the master cylinder. That one looks like a 1/2" GSXR or RS125 Honda unit. Try a smaller R6 Brembo for example. The lever is in the right place I think, but should have been machined so that the lever in in line with the M/C. There's insufficient offset on that one. You can also cheat with the clevis and have it sit beside the lever rather than around it and use a longer pin. Or space teh M/C out slightly with nylon spacers from the hardware store.
 
I notice "GS" in your handle. Cannibalizing the rearsets - including master cylinder - from a GSXR is a really popular approach with the GS's. Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom