cx500 street tracker

Libertygeared

New Member
The plan is to make a street tracker out of a 1979 cx500d. I got it for $350 and it runs so time to tear it down.
A laundry list of what I'm planning on doing
-pod filters
-high exhaust under the seat
-street tracker tail
- single tac instrument gauge
-custom front fender
-a new handlebars and clean them up in terms of instruments
-new turn signals and brake light
-clean everything and then paint a lot of things

IMG_4854.jpg

This is on a budget so there are some things that I would like to change, but won't like wheels.
So I put it on the table and got to work...

This is how it started
IMG_4863.jpg

and this is how it ended.
IMG_4876.jpg


So the easy part it over and I pulled out a radiator fan blade from a crack so the next job is to remove that and find what's up.
Once I got the radiator off I found this.
IMG_4904.jpg

and a bird's nest
IMG_4892.jpg


I have ordered a bunch of stuff and it just keeps rolling in.

I decided to order a cb360 tank because the cx engine is so awesome I have to show it off. I plopped the tank on, I will have to move things around to get it to sit lower like I want, but I think it looks pretty good.
IMG_4909.jpg


I have finished trimming the fender, but didn't take a picture.
Working on the headlight bracket now and will start on the seat pan shortly.
I'm thinking of using a pair of xl250 handle bars that were lying around.

One week into the build and its already staring to come together.

That was about a week of progress, so at least right now I seem to be making progress.
 
A bunch of things came in, but not the handle bars. So I'm waiting on those so I can make mounts for the tank.
IMG_4921_zpsb61af269.jpg



I have discovered that being 6'2 isn't always such a great thing, mainly that trying to ride the cx500 with stock pegs and a low slung seat is painful. So to keep the tracker style I'm going to raise the seat to be level with the end of the tank. So I'll be working on that...

I think I'll go with a brat style seat, instead of the traditional tail, because i think the twin muffler under the seat. So the first step will be to get the seat pan set in steel, then make the custom exhaust.

where it sits at the end of the day
IMG_4931_zpsfc951607.jpg

I don't like the headlight where it sits today I want it a little higher( to be aligned with the tank) and closer to the forks.
I'm thinking of putting some of the electronics in the gap between the triple trees and the tank to give it a cleaner look.

opinions on just flat seats(brat style) vs a traditional flat tracker tail?
 
Looking great man. I have the same bike and getting ready to attempt a similar build. More of a brat mix though.

The tracker looks sporty, but the brat has that more level look. Since you said you are taller, wouldn't the flat be more comfortable without having to relocate the pegs?

Do you have any pictures/goal image you are shooting for?

I'm looking to do something like this, but with a flatter seat.
motorcycle_monkee_27_1.jpg


Kind of like this seat:
3.jpg

Mike
 
nice looking start. my dad has one of these that's been sitting for years. he doesn't want to spend the money to get it running, but he doesn't want to sell it either since it was his first bike. i always wondered if he'd let me chop at it, being his son and all, haha.
 
Good start,
Im doing a CX as well and the build thread is in the cafe section. For the fan, a lot of guys are doing a electric fan conversion which I think is a pain in the ass because of the parts they are using....a simple one is to use a radiator and e fan from a CX650 and wire it in yourself, then you never have the destructing fan again....just a thought.
Also if you want to move your pegs back a bit, take a look at GL500 foot pegs (chrome kind) and flip them left to right....it will bring your feet back a few inches, being a bigger dude this may help be more comfortable.

Whats the cam chain and tensioner like on it?? Make sure you keep them in adjustment regularly

Keep the pics coming
 
Oh......if you are doing pods and exhaust, plan on rejetting the carb to 90/120
 
Libertygeared said:
I have discovered that being 6'2 isn't always such a great thing, mainly that trying to ride the cx500 with stock pegs and a low slung seat is painful. So to keep the tracker style I'm going to raise the seat to be level with the end of the tank. So I'll be working on that...

haha i feel your pain
Im 6'3 -> 18yrs old -> no money -> small displacement bikes -> look like a gorilla on a mini bike
 
Sorry for the delay, I'll try to be better.

I'm definitely going to have a raised flat seat, the only question is how much.

Here is a rough idea of what I'm going for.

Screenshot2013-03-25at73908PM_zps4ed73e4b.png


Thanks for the all the advice on the pegs and mechanical issues.

I havent gotten to open up anything mechanical yet. Hard to find time to work on it lately.

Wrenchmonkees cx has to be one of my favorite looking bikes of all time and was one of the first time I saw that the cx had real potential for a custom bike.

Here are the most current shots I've got:
IMG_20130216_134833_562_zps5af4ef91.jpg

IMG_20130216_134513_120_zpsda5a956d.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom