"Do the Ton" rear sets - Lets do them cheap - No takers???

dixiedevil said:
a friend did these... thought id see what yall thought about them...

that is fucking disgusting, in a good way. you need any pro-bono Graphics work ill do it for free for this project.
 
Brewtown...
What kind of graphics work do you do? I've been trying to track down a .dxf or .dwg file of a spade that I can import into my cam system. I'm great at drawing from blue prints, but not so hot trying to create free hand...
 
yeah, those renders are cool. a fair bit of machine work though. can you make a set?
 
Which set are you reffering to? I'm hoping to get into the shop friday night, but I've changed the latast revision a little... using the toe pegs i made on the first set didn't work too well... Unless I've got my steel toes on they dig in too much... I think it's just too much pressure in one spot. I'm going to make more of a oval shape peg to spread the pressure around a bit. I'll post a render of it later...
I've already promised Joe a set, and I've only got enough stock for two sets right now (been dumpster diving here at work, but there isn't a whole lot of aluminum used in overhead cranes)... Might be awhile before I can get back in to make more, but I've already built my fixture to hold them during the milling process... Maybe half hour worth of work once I prove out my program.
 
i was thinking of dixiedevils set actually, not that i would buy either because i don't need rearsets, but i'd like to see them "real" if you know what i mean.
 
Kodiak i can always send you some stock man... let me know, we usually have a ton of scrap alum at my buddies shop... he makes injection molds so they do alot of cutting... i would have to check first of course
 
JRK5892 said:
Kodiak i can always send you some stock man... let me know, we usually have a ton of scrap alum at my buddies shop... he makes injection molds so they do alot of cutting... i would have to check first of course
Sweet... I've been trying to round some up, but like i said... there's not much aluminum in cranes... And if they ever do start using it, remind me to get the hell outta the way! ;)
 
ha ha ha ha well i have a bike show on Sat i have to attend but sunday i was planning on going into the shop to make some plates for tim... i will snoop a bit while i am in there
 
gOT THE NEWEST REVISION MACHINED LAST NIGHT... tOOK ALOT LONGER THAN WHAT i PLANNED... jOE, i'M GONNA GET THEM INSTALLED THIS WEEKND, BEAT THE HELL OUTTA THEM FOR A WEEK OR SO, AND ONCE I"M SURE THERE'S NO BUGS, i'LL GET THAT SET MADE FOR YA... tHINK i'M GONNA PASS ON THE POWWDER THO... jUST GONNA POLISH THEM UP. MAYBE IT'S FROM BEING A MACHINIST, BUT THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT THE LOOK OF RAW METAL... i LOVE IT!!!
 
sorry i havent paid back to this thread! im a graphic and packaging designer, fresh out of the school.... you need spades? btw... thanks for the offer on the rear sets... havent sold em yet, so tech i dont need yours- give em to a kid who could use em! :D but yeah, throw me a PM about what kind of vector images/logos/design you need and ill whip it up.
 
ok guys... rev 2!
100_1694.jpg


100_1695.jpg
 
I used .500" thick plate this time... They feel alot better, and pressing in the bearings instead of riding on bushings, wow, what a difference.... so much smoother now. :)
 
oh yeah... so much better i can't even describe it... I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, or I would have done it in the first place...
 
Those look amazing! Great work!

So help me understand how these things are mounted in the photo - the aluminum bracket that the rearset is bolted to - that's part of what you've manufactured, right? Where is it attached to the frame, the old passenger brackets? Do you have a shot that's slightly farther back so I can get a little better idea of how they're attached?
 
Back
Top Bottom