DOT Lights...

Ribo

Twist the "go-go" side and hold on!
What's the deal with DOT lights - do the police really care and does it vary state to state?
 
Its not the police its inspections. Where I live before my bike can be insured it needs a inspection and that inspection requires DOT lights.

Some places require yearly inspections and again without DOT they'll fail. DOT lights means they pass an inspection which will warrant a happy medium for safety concerns.
 
Ah I see. Sorry I'm new to USA and not too familiar with how it works.

My headlight and tail-light are DOT but i just noted my turn-signals are not... will all inspection places fail it for this?
 
Reading here that turn signals aren't even required in virginia.... anyone back this up?

http://www.bikerplaza.com/motorcycle-law.html#VA
 
This is correct. I don't have turn signals on either of my bikes though both are antiques and don't get inspected. Read more below.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1039
 
I think it'll be ok... I'm sure everything else on the bike will pass inspection so I don't see them being anal enough to kill it for no DOT word on the glass - the signals are super bright and totally safe.

If they do then I'll just take them off for the inspection..

R./
 
Back
Top Bottom