Engin swap cb750

CB750FRANK

New Member
Hello everyone I am new and this is my first post. Great site by the way. I have a 1975 honda cb750. I am planning on updating the bike with cbr f2 frontend(forks,wheels, brakes, clipons, etc.) and swingarm and rear wheel. I plan on buying a whole donor bike so I have everything I need. My stock motor needs some work. Since I will have the motor from the f2 I was wondering if anyone has swapped a modern sportbike engine into a cb750 or heard of it being done. Just a thought. thanks in advance.

Frank
Long Island, New york
 
Welcome Frank - I've never seen an engine swap on a 750, but I'm sure it's been done.

You should for sure check out www.sohc4.us/forums for the definitive answers to Honda SOHC questions. I've been a member there forever having had a 1977 CB750K, a 1973 CB500K and a 1976 CB550F.

Sounds like a serious project - looking forward to lots of pics - Photobucket is the way to go for that.
 
sounds interesting, even tho self i prefer sohc engines. but let us know how the rest transplants work, would be interested in putting modern suspension on the old girls.
 
CB750FRANK said:
Hello everyone I am new and this is my first post. Great site by the way. I have a 1975 honda cb750. I am planning on updating the bike with cbr f2 frontend(forks,wheels, brakes, clipons, etc.) and swingarm and rear wheel. I plan on buying a whole donor bike so I have everything I need. My stock motor needs some work. Since I will have the motor from the f2 I was wondering if anyone has swapped a modern sportbike engine into a cb750 or heard of it being done. Just a thought. thanks in advance.

Frank
Long Island, New york

Hey Frank,
Welcome to the board...Ya know, its funny that you should ask that question...Ive been thinking and asking around about what would it take to put an R1 engine into a cb750 frame. (all the speed and power of an R1 w/. the insurance rate of a 75 cb750). Apparently, its not impossible, but depending on the motor, you'd need to custom make and weld engine mounts and may even have to cut the frame up. You would basically need a complete donot bike....

Its better to go the way Neuman, (check out his bike pics), did on his 82/83 cb750 DHOC to get a nice compromise between the styling of a cafe racer w/ the performance of a newer bike...

If you do decide to do the transplant, post up the progress.. I dont think anyone here has done that yet!!

Cheers
 
locOleoN said:
Hey Frank,
Welcome to the board...Ya know, its funny that you should ask that question...Ive been thinking and asking around about what would it take to put an R1 engine into a cb750 frame. (all the speed and power of an R1 w/. the insurance rate of a 75 cb750). Apparently, its not impossible, but depending on the motor, you'd need to custom make and weld engine mounts and may even have to cut the frame up. You would basically need a complete donot bike....

Its better to go the way Neuman, (check out his bike pics), did on his 82/83 cb750 DHOC to get a nice compromise between the styling of a cafe racer w/ the performance of a newer bike...

If you do decide to do the transplant, post up the progress.. I dont think anyone here has done that yet!!

Cheers

Man that sounds like a sweet idea! My only concern would be what would happen to the frame? Could a old cb frame design put up with the torque of a new engine?? or would it eventually warp the frame? That would be the king of the court to do that but it would prolly take some serious research or be a project for a serious fabricator...
 
locOleoN said:
...complete donot bike....

stunt4.JPG
;D
 
Back
Top Bottom