Fiber glass afe seat doesnt clear themetal frame hump thingy under the seat. :(

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
Is there a way I can heat up the seat with a tourch and strech the seats width a hair? Slowly bring it to temp and make it wider? Maybe dip it in boiling water and strech it?

I just barely isnt wide enough to clear that metal arch under the seat that the rear fender bolts to. The seat was made for a cb350 and i am trying to fit it to my cb500.

Its a pain the do anything with a broken wrist.

If I cant strech it consider it for sale :(
 
Two things..and in no way am i an expert on this. one (depending on the style of seat you bought) If its a bubble seat, most of the time ive seen the bikes minus the stock rear fender, so im guessing that stretching it (if even possible, i dunno that much about fiber glass) is not a good idea, cos even if you did, you're not going to widen it enough to not touch that bracket, which will prolly end up crackin the glass at some point. You could cut the bracket off and rearange a new one that WILL fit under it. That wouldn't be too tough to do aside from the welding part (if you dont weld) Or you can rid yourself of the rear fender altogether, but then you'll be sloshin crap up under your seat. :-[ Or you could even do what i did on my GS. I took a old front fender, gently banged it out a bit wider for the rear tire, chopped it short (completely tucked under the seat section of the frame) and welded two little brackets on it that i bolted to the cross member of the frame under the seat pan and the other (with double ears ) i bolted to the battery box mounts. So far it's held up quite nicely. Keeps the road grime and water away from the electrics and battery box, and doesnt interfere with my seat.

and two..if you decide to sell i may be interested if the measurements are right or even close...

hope it helps, and hope that wrist and your girl heal soon!
josh
 
Just get rid of the bracket altogether. Easier to modify the frame than the seat.
 
Re: Fiber glass afe seat doesnt clear themetal frame hump thingy under the seat.

I have had the dubious honour of wrecking, repairing and replacing many sets fiberglass bodywork :( I have found that a heat gun (NOT A TORCH!) will do wonders for slight adjustments. Obviously, thinner and longer sections will allow more adjustment. If the seat is gel-coated, don't go too crazy or it will wrinkle. Use some copper pipe or something similar with a long bolt & nut assembled to act as a "screw-jack" to open her up while applying heat. I recently widened a seat by 1/4".

"I love the smell of resin in the morning...."
 
Ok, so no I need a heat gun lol. Ill give it a shot. It fits about half way down the seat support but then hits the helmet hook. With that grinded off Im sure I can strech it out a hair to fit.

If I cant its officially for sale :)
 
Back
Top Bottom