FUCKING Snap Ring!!!!... F*U*C*K !!!!!

locOleoN

Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
Im trying to rebuild a front master cylinder from my cb550f.
2 weeks ago, I bought the adjustable snap-ring/circlip plyers from Crappy Tire and found that it was 2 short by 2 cms.
No problem, I'll just go to Home Depot or Princess Auto and get a plyer with a longer nose...Yeah whatever.. neither of them had a longer set.
No problem, I'll just use a set of picks...

yeah right... NOT... It just bends the picks to shit...

Ive been able to keep the plunger pushed in but still the snap-ring plyers I have are still 2cms to short. Ive tried adjusting the plyers in more positions than the Romey's version of the Kama Sutra, but still no luck.

Anyhow... would anyone have any suggestions on how I could take the bloody snap-ring out? or have a 2 inch long nosed snap-ring plyer? or have another GIXXER font master cylinder laying around???

I wanna ride the cb550f, that doesnt have any front brakes right now..
 
man ill look around...i recently saw a pair online that were long as all get out with a bent nose...with the picks however did you try to unseat the ring before you pulled on it? Ive had that problem where even withthe pliers it doesnt want to come out and you have to take a dental pick or micro screwdriver around the edges of it to kinda break it loose. I'll let you know if i find those pliers..not that they'll do you instant good..but yanno..
 
You could always buy a cheap pair of needle nose pliers and take the tip to the bench grinder. That's how my snap ring pliers were made :)

--Chris
 
here ya go...kinda 'spensive...but they look as tho they'll do the job..


http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1692
 
Anyhow... would anyone have any suggestions on how I could take the bloody snap-ring out? or have a 2 inch long nosed snap-ring plyer? or have another GIXXER font master cylinder laying around???

ok i have a long set i got at princess auto, and a hand made set made from small electronic needlenose pliers. heat end to bend them so they don't snap- just short of red hot- then file or grind carefully to diameter. worked ok for about 4 sessions. bend ends inward so they are at least straight when at the clip points.
 
Tripler said:
Look on this page
http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-tools.php?category_id=7.1

Yeah those are right angled ones tho...i think he was looking for left angled ones... ;D
 
TonUpSoldier said:
Yeah those are right angled ones tho...i think he was looking for left angled ones... ;D

I think that one might work. I need to pull the snap clip ends together, (tightening it), to remove it, rathen than splitting them apart.

I have the set, the second last picture, with the multiple heads & red handle. It wont work at all.

Thanks guys...
 
LOL.. ohhhhh. Ok...
Im just so bloody frustrated with this stupid thing...
 
locOleoN said:
LOL.. ohhhhh. Ok...
Im just so bloody frustrated with this stupid thing...

S;allroit bro...I was too doin my rear cylinder rebuild...i actually broke the bloody thing and then had to go hunting for one, lucky i found one in an assorted pack i bought from autozone. Sheer luck that one. They are a bitch even with the damn pliers too..
 
SHit man, take the damn m/c down to Cycle Werx or OSS and get them to pop the thing out for you. You'll spend $30 on tools to try and get this done when you could get it done for $5 or less at a shop.
 
Tintin said:
SHit man, take the damn m/c down to Cycle Werx or OSS and get them to pop the thing out for you. You'll spend $30 on tools to try and get this done when you could get it done for $5 or less at a shop.

I know.. I know...thats my last resort.. I like to try to do it myself before I go get some help..
Also, great exuse to get a new tool... But I cant wait any longer for a tool to arrive. I thought I could just get one at Princess Auto....NOT..
I want to ride the 550 tomorrow night...
 
OK.. So.. I have to give credit where is due...
yesterday, taking Tims Advice, I make way way over to CycleWERX...
They were closed.. DAMN...
So I figure I have to stop by TinTin's place anyhow to pick up some parts.

I get there and he goes, "ehh.. let me see that MC..."... "hmmm. I think I can get it out".
I shrug my shoulders... thinking to myself.. this ought to be funny... I spent 4 hours last night trying every possible trick...but OK...
Its funny when Tim gets frustrated... his usual cool and collective SeniorTelco Executive demeanor changes into a pissed off drunk trucker!!..(no offense to any truckers out there ;D)

So, Tim grabs a thick handled stubby pick from the tool box, looks at the MC, stick the pick into the hole of the clip, and wrenches it with all his might... POP..done...!!

WOW...Im standing there in amaziment!!...Tim goes.."Its amazing what you can do with a pick.."..LOL!!!!..."its a sad thing really...you just cant teach that kind of skill... you've just gotta be born with it..."...LOL!!! ;D

After that, I rebuilt the MC no problem!!...

THanks Tim!!!

BTW.. Dan... I met your mom!!.. SuperNice!!!...Tim and I tried to convince her to move out here to TO!!.. LOL!!!... She said that shes been considering it... something about.."Im tired of babying little Danny!!.."...LOL!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom