GN400 Basement Build

slopecarver

New Member
I got this for $200, not shown is a box of parts (some are new replacements) a flawless tank, and a flawless seat. I will be building it in the walkout basement because I don't have a garage. I am planning on a tracker/scrambler type build over the winter and I won't get to ride it before next spring, it's already snowed here a few times. The engine in this is what I imagine to be an optimal engine in terms of simplicity, kickstart, air cooled, single cylinder thumper.

My background, This is my first ride with 2 wheels, I took the MSF course many years ago and never got a bike because I never had the money. I'm mechanically inclined and have been a mechanical engineer for 2 years now, I know many things in theory but little in experience. I want to get my hands dirty with welding, powdercoating, painting, design, suspension, and general fabrication which I don't get much exposure to in my field.

general plans, I may not do all of these things (and likely won't) but they are things I want to try:
-Get it running. It has good compression and no battery/no tank hooked up. I have no idea if the electrics are functional.
If I can't get it running due to electrical/carb issues then I want to try microsquirt EFI which will involve a completely new electrical system including a new 12V high amp stator/flywheel retrofitted from another bike.
-Rebuild/replace/swap the front forks, they are pitted and need attention. I'd like to go with a more modern inverted fork from a dual sport/offroad bike which would require triples and some work in the steering stem.
-Simplify the wiring, delete everything that isn't required including the gauges.
-Monoshock + new subframe mounted a bit higher up, I'm 6'1" so a bit tall for the stock bike.
-custom seat
-spoked wheels with lightweight aluminum rims


bPRupDL.jpg
 
Welcome aboard! There is a lot of expertise here, so don't feel shy about asking (after the requisite search on the forums of course). I'm undertaking an EFI Microsquirt project now on my GR650 Tempter, so glad to see I'm not the only one! (I'm an ME too, coincidence? Can we not just leave well enough alone?) Looks like a fun project.
 
If it's not broke then it doesn't have enough features yet...It looks like you have the same thoughts about your bike as I do mine, but you have a better base to work with.

Combine the facts that the electronics in these are usually faulty, it's 6 volt, and the carb is of a CV variety and you end up with a system that will if not now then in the future have frustrating problems. EFI has no jets to swap, no needles to tune and altitude/temperature compensation with less need to wait for the bike to warm up. All great features while living in northern mountainous Pennsylvania.

But I need to try firing it up first, been busy with work since I got it.
 
I'll be back for more of this project......but what size wheels are those? 19" front and 16" rear?
 
after a quick google search,
Front tire dimensions: 3.60-18
Rear tire dimensions: 4.60-16

I'm a big fan of matching tire sizes front-rear so If I switch them I'll try to make them the same size, 17's probably, spoked with aluminum rims most likely.
 
I have a spoke rear hub that would probably fit. A front hub too. They are attached to 18" rims though.

Hubs are for sale - pm me if you want them.
 
I'm not married to 17's...

Next on my list for now is a clutch perch+lever, recommended models? Are these generally universal fit? I don't want the hot start lever. I'm going to modify the bracket on the engine to have a lever, no cables required. I haven't gotten too far, most of my tools are at my parents house.

I took some additional pictures just for fun.
IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

Sadly this won't be reused, more $$$ for the build. Anybody want it? $75+ shipping
IMG_1112.jpg
 
Cleaned out the carb, had some varnish in the bowl. I remounted the carb and wouldn't you know, it kicks like a mule. How do I start this pain in my foot? Could the timing be too far advanced? Electronics as far as I can tell are original. I've tried following directions in this video to no avail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJWyRuxgG1Y
 
I'm sad I haven't gotten any further on this, Time and Funds are relatively tight and I may be out of a job at the end of the year. I've installed a new clutch lever and cable (exciting, I know) and retrieved a bunch of tools from my parents house including a motorcycle jack that doesn't work very well with the small frame and kick stand mount and header hanging in the way. I did build a workbench to keep from working on the floor attached to the wall with masonry anchors and it has a reed vise that was my gradpa's. I need to retrofit a modern 12v high watt stator If I go EFI, the stator diameter should be around the 3.9" Dia range with a flywheel to match. Does anyone have a 100+watt stator they can measure? Depth shouldn't be an issue.
Lt5USsV.jpg

RAYNTDY.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom