Handlebars 72 CB750

colab

Been Around the Block
I have a 72 CB750 with new clubman bars installed. I recently got some new handlebar controls (start button, kill switch, signal light control etc.) and there is no place on the control for the wire to sit when you mount the control on the handlebar. I'm suspecting that in the old CB750 that the wires ran through the tube of the handlebar... Is that the case?

If so can anyone suggest a clubman bar which would allow me to do this?

Thanks,
J
 
Yes, and no.

Yes, the wiring was internal on the stock handlebars. The one and only clubman bars I have ever seen that were drilled for wiring were a spare set I got with a 1975 CB750F. Long gone.

Depending on the clubmans, you can drill the necessary holes (helps to have the stock bars for a guide) and run the wiring out the ends of the short straight tubes that your grips etc. are mounted to. That presumes they aren't closed off at the ends.

It's either that or you dremel out a notch in the control pods to accomodate the wiring. More common approach, and in fact many later model CB controls were cast with the notch in them as Honda began running wiring externally, finally realizing the extra costs involved in running them through the bars.

Running externally is very very helpful if you anticipate changing bars at all in the future.
 
^Beat me to it.

Good luck wiring yours. Im sure it will be easier for you. My controls were 9 wires! Took me 3 hours of fishing pieces of twine through the bars and pulling each wire through by itself. Only to find out that I may have snapped the horn wire.

Mount the bars.

Mark your holes with a sharpie.

Grind away.

Take your time, its not that hard to do. Just time consuming.
 
Back
Top Bottom