Hubs and Drums

1976cb356

Twins FTW
I am wondering If I should do my hubs like this.
sweetdrum.jpg

I just dont know how to make them look like that, If you can get them dipped, or PCed.
triumph-bonneville-streetmaster-3.jpg

and I am wondering if this would look stupied because I have just a hub in the front, My wheels are going to be chrome spokes brass nimples and gloss black rims. I am painting my tank British Racing Green. I am trying to picture it, and think this would be cool and original.
I would appreciate any feedback and thoughts on this, Thanks
 
The top one looks to be electroplated. The bottom one looks powdercoated.
Copper plating on aluminum is quite easy, and there are chemicals that can give copper a bronze-like patina.
 
Yep, the top looks to be the cadmium plating that they used to use on brake parts in the 60s and 70s. A pretty cool reproduction item you can get is a cadmium restore kit from eastwood. Been wanting to try it on something.....

http://www.eastwood.com/new-golden-cad-system-w-diamond-clear.html

It's a 3 step paint process in aerosol that looks awesome to me.
 
It's a repo of an Italian drum - Fontana or Ceriani I suspect. They were a magnesium alloy known as Elelktron IIRC and they had to be dipped in a chromate solution to prevent corrosion and cracking. That repo is probably a passivated zinc or something similar.

For a similar look at much lower cost, get a can of spray paint for wheels. Do them them like a set of Scoobie Doo WRX WRC wheels. I have painted a couple of hubs with gold wheel paint and they look good - well I like them and they were on my bikes and that's all that counts.
 
Awesome, I should be getting this done then, hopefully it doesnt costs and ass load but either way I will make them look like that. Thanks for all the responses, so its just cadium plate magnesium? or like the drum is magnesium and wont work with aluminum? This should be a nice touch to my bike thanks again
 
AlphaDogChoppers said:
The top one looks to be electroplated. The bottom one looks powdercoated.
Copper plating on aluminum is quite easy, and there are chemicals that can give copper a bronze-like patina.
Never thought of that, maybe I can just DIM (myself) ;) . I have seen people copper plate stuff, I wonder if I could get that look or pretty close
 
Copper is a little different color, but patination might get close to the color you are looking for. I don't know anything about cadmium plating, but cadmium is extremely toxic, so I don't know what it would take to do it or have it done.
 
AlphaDogChoppers said:
Copper is a little different color, but patination might get close to the color you are looking for. I don't know anything about cadmium plating, but cadmium is extremely toxic, so I don't know what it would take to do it or have it done.
Yea and if I did it i would want it to be authentic, but copper plating on a bobber would look sweet, I wouldnt even polish the copper. I will see how much it is to get it done, if it is a lot, I will just get a DIY kit. Which the price would have to be pretty high for me to DIY, because like you told me, its toxic
 
Kanticoy said:
Look at that eastwood kit I linked. It looks great to me, and its paint.
Yea will do, probably will go that way. 54 bucks sounds good to me. Looks like the look i want too. Thanks man
 
The lower hub is a Grimeca - readilly available new in the UK [ and elsewhere no doubt ].

That is a factory standard finish - they also came in SIlver [ see attached ] and "raw".

There has been a policy change and now all centres come polished and it's just the brake plates that are powder coated.

When we ordered ours for the TR1 projects, they only had Silver ! Garage Rat sent a pic of an excellent process [ Gold ] which was acid etched [ I think ] and and then the Gold process applied. Damn my memory, I'll go back and check what he said !

ACID ETCH AND ALODINE COAT.



At the time we were looking at the process for the RAM twinshock kits, but here in the UK it was looking skywards with a sucking of the teeth when we enquired.

That said, I think it would be spot on for hubs / brake plates and more practical than powder coating.

BTW - I wonder if the owner of the bike with the Grimeca ever heard of the engineer / mechanics rule of at least 1 1/2 threads showing through a nut? Especially Nylock or similar.

Picture126.jpg
 
Awesome, yea I didnt want to get them PC. I think I will try that kit, but if that fails acid etch and alodine coat, like you said. I looked it up and is exactly what I am looking for. I would polish my hubs but I want a different look, not saying everyone is falling into a trend, if it looks good it looks good.... and polishing gets ooooooldd. Thanks for the useful and detailed help.
 
AlphaDogChoppers said:
Can that be subsequently polished?

Honestly don't know - how about it Rat ???

I would suspect not, but to be honest that is JUST the finish I want. I'm going to try some more treatment companies here in the Midlands and see what I can find.

reminds me of the old "Tru-Mag" rattle can paint for Hot Rod and Race parts !
 
Ordered that kit today. I like the look and idea of the adoline dip, just getting a little impatient and that kit looks perfect. I also bought a truing stand and all balls. I messed up when I ordered stuff from mikesxs, the only purpose of buying something there, were spoke wrenches which I forgot. Of course. I was just going to suck it up and pay the S+H but its more than the wrenches and that gets to me. I dont know if any local stores would have them, I guess I will just check local motorcycle shops.
Thanks for everyones help.
 
Back
Top Bottom