Mounting a 'glass cafe seat...

sclay115

Been Around the Block
What did you guys use? I have the brackets all made up, but thinking I should mount it on some rubber isolators...but am having a hell of a time trying to find something suitable. I was then thinking about stacking some washers and then using a fender washer on the top of the stack, and another on the other side of the seat. I'm trying to prevent it from cracking. You guys have any tips?

Steve
 
sclay115 said:
What did you guys use? I have the brackets all made up, but thinking I should mount it on some rubber isolators...but am having a hell of a time trying to find something suitable. I was then thinking about stacking some washers and then using a fender washer on the top of the stack, and another on the other side of the seat. I'm trying to prevent it from cracking. You guys have any tips?

Steve

I have one too, and my idea was to have as much surface area as possible to the mounting points as to prevent cracking or blowing through the 'glass. I suppose it depends greatly on how thick and sturdy the fiberglass is.
 
Against good advice, I used industrial velcro. It's worked well for the last 5 miles or so :)

--Chris
 
I ended up using an assortment of different sized washers, and the rubber spacers that came with my shocks, the ones I didn't use. It is SOLID, and honestly the weight seems very spread out, so hoping no cracking will happen. I can nearly pick up the rear of the bike with the mounting setup.

Steve
 
I went to the science store in Toronto and there's a few things there that can be used on bikes. They have solid rubber stoppers for beakers that would work very well for cushioning a seat. They also have latex surgical tubing that may be suitable for fuel lines. I'm going to test them for fuel resistance. Latex is more flexible than PVC or rubber and won't harden as badly. I also bought a large capacity syringe that is perfect for filling the forks with oil.
 
Back
Top Bottom