My Rear set idea.

djelliott

Real bikes are built in garages.
Here you go. As simple as can be. Stock exhaust/passenger peg bracket with Large BMX peg and a repurposed CBR600 F3 shifter. Just had to mount the peg and drill a hole to mount the shifter. After I get everything together I'll see how long the linkage will need to be. The break pedal is on it's way. I'll add that to this thread when I get it together.
4287675303_bef45a1671.jpg
 
Should work great though you may want to consider folding pegs later if they ground out....
 
I hope there's enough leverage ratio. The toe lever isn't much longer than the elbow lever.
 
DrJ said:
I hope there's enough leverage ratio. The toe lever isn't much longer than the elbow lever.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll have to tweak it a bit once it's all together. I had the whole rear set from the CBR so I measured everything and set it up exactly like the original. You also may be getting a slightly skewed perspective from the photo. We'll see i guess.
 
If the brake side has the same leverage ratio, you will have a hard time using the rear drum brake. Modern rearsets are designed to be used with a rear disk which doesn't require as much leverage.
 
DrJ said:
If the brake side has the same leverage ratio, you will have a hard time using the rear drum brake. Modern rearsets are designed to be used with a rear disk which doesn't require as much leverage.

Excellent point. Thank you much. I'm still on the fence about trying rear disk. I'm also half on the fence about just buying some good rear sets. Once I start getting things together I'll be able to figure it all out. The only reason I'm jumping into this stuff before I have my motor done is that the shop that's boring my cylinders has had them for almost a month. I hate just sitting around and doing nothing so I figured I'd start working on body and controls. I'll keep the board posted as to how these work out.
 
AHHH, got the CB600 brake rear set yesterday and it's going to be a bit more of a challenge to make work. Going to try something tonight but I don't have high hopes. I may be in the market for some rear sets after all. We'll see.
 
Yep, it's official. I'm trashing my rear set idea and going with the classic looking ones from fast from the past. After some careful consideration I realized my idea was just not stable enough. especially with the brake.
 
You should check out my build thread. I used an extra set of Passenger peg brackets and made the clutch side work with a few slight mods. It looks stock and the pegs fold, which you need for the right side to be able to kick start. I had to make the brake side cable actuated, But it works great. I may change it once I finish everything else to make it simpler, but you are on the right track with the shifter side. Just use the parts from the bike!

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=10806.30
 
BCBarker said:
You should check out my build thread. I used an extra set of Passenger peg brackets and made the clutch side work with a few slight mods. It looks stock and the pegs fold, which you need for the right side to be able to kick start. I had to make the brake side cable actuated, But it works great. I may change it once I finish everything else to make it simpler, but you are on the right track with the shifter side. Just use the parts from the bike!

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=10806.30

That's funny. I was just checking your thread out yesterday. Nice job.
 
djelliott said:
Here you go. As simple as can be. Stock exhaust/passenger peg bracket with Large BMX peg and a repurposed CBR600 F3 shifter. Just had to mount the peg and drill a hole to mount the shifter. After I get everything together I'll see how long the linkage will need to be. The break pedal is on it's way. I'll add that to this thread when I get it together.
4287675303_bef45a1671.jpg
whatcha gonna do with the set in the picture i might buy them
 
Those will bind/ not work.... The levers have to be parallel. By the time you put that shifter in a comfy position, the lever attached to it will be pointing near backwards... Must be parallel....

Louis
 
Swapmeet Louie said:
Those will bind/ not work.... The levers have to be parallel. By the time you put that shifter in a comfy position, the lever attached to it will be pointing near backwards... Must be parallel....

Louis

Yeah that was a canned idea. I ended up getting the frame clamp and using whole, intact CBR600 rearsets. The worked out great.
 
Back
Top Bottom