New tires - Hit the Ton!

Kuyarico

Coast to Coast
I got new tires installed last week. Avon Road Rider (AM26 I believe). After about a week of easy riding to break in the tires, I went for a long ride yesterday. At one point, I realized that i had a good mile and a half of visibility on a straightaway. And there wasn't much of a cross wind. So I hammered it. I quickly got up to 106 on my speedo. My speedo is +5mph off. So my goal was to hit 105 and then slow down. It got up there pretty quickly and seemed like it had more to give. The head wind was so strong at that speed that it stretched the neck of my t-shirt. All in all, the bike felt great. It was super smooth at that speed.

Incidentally, the shop that I went to(Honda of Avon in Avon, OH) mounted and balanced the tires for free since I purchased the tires there. I ordered the tires on a Tuesday, brought the bike to them that Friday and picked up my bike the same day. Now that's service. Kudos to Honda of Avon!
 
Ain't speed great :) Congrats!

Now what the hell were you doing riding at that speed where your t-shirt was exposed enough to spread? ???

It's a matter of personal choice (sort of when you factor in insurance pools) but I wouldn't be riding at that (or any for that matter) without my jacket.
 
I'd love to know specifically which model Avon's you got in what size for front and rear - I'm seriously considering Avon's for my triton-lookalike project and need 18 rear and 19 front. The Road Riders are universal correct? Same tire on front and rear?
 
Yeah, I knew that would come up. I didn't leave my house with the goal to 'Hit the Ton' yesterday. I went for a ride because it was 95 degrees out, and my A/C units are my bikes. ;D But I can't say that wouldn't do it again without a jacket. Although I was wearing a helmet when doing the ton run, I didn't wear it for the most of the day. (Putting on my flame suit) It's not required here in Ohio, and I'm finding helmet-less riding to be a great joy in life. I know that this is a controversial topic here and everywhere, but in the end, it is a matter of personal preference. It could even be seen as a matter of personal faith or a belief in the higher order of things.
 
Tintin said:
I'd love to know specifically which model Avon's you got in what size for front and rear - I'm seriously considering Avon's for my triton-lookalike project and need 18 rear and 19 front. The Road Riders are universal correct? Same tire on front and rear?

You are correct about the tires being universal. The front is a 100/90-19 and the rear is a 110/90-18. These are great tires so far. My parts guy had highly recommended them after using them in an event on his Interceptor(500).
 
nice!!!.. You hit the TOn.. LOL...
now to commemorate, you have to get yourself the new 4 inch generic DoTheTon patch!!..LOL!!..

By the way, you comming up this summer?
 
I'll be ordering my patch today! ;D

I want to come up soon, but it would probably be in the late summer or fall. Hopefully my 750 will make it
 
Kuyarico said:
It's not required here in Ohio, and I'm finding helmet-less riding to be a great joy in life.\

you know what I find to be a great joy in life?

cognitive thought...
walking....
chewing my own food...

but to each his own I guess.... ;)
 
xcaptainxbloodx said:
you know what I find to be a great joy in life?

cognitive thought...
walking....
chewing my own food...

but to each his own I guess.... ;)

Wow, you better not grow old. Those things are inevitable.
 
Before I get another 'It's your life comment'. Keep in mind that you joined a community who's motto is Do The Ton. Before you judge me, go and tell your friends and family members what doing the Ton is and be prepared to be judged.
 
I somehow don't think we need a debate on helmet use. Might as well start talking politics or religion. No right answer.
 
Tintin said:
I somehow don't think we need a debate on helmet use. Might as well start talking politics or religion. No right answer.

Im just going to back out on this one. Politics and religon are personal decisons. The decison to not wear a helmet requires not only wreckless abandonment for ones personal safety but also a decided move to spit in the face of pretty much every legitimate study ever done on the subject.
 
Kuyarico said:
Before I get another 'It's your life comment'. Keep in mind that you joined a community who's motto is Do The Ton. Before you judge me, go and tell your friends and family members what doing the Ton is and be prepared to be judged.

I have told them... it's no secret...no glass house here.
 
xcaptainxbloodx said:
Im just going to back out on this one. Politics and religon are personal decisons. The decison to not wear a helmet requires not only wreckless abandonment for ones personal safety but also a decided move to spit in the face of pretty much every legitimate study ever done on the subject.

X, I understand what you are saying and appreciate your comments. I do believe in safety and awareness. I do wear a helmet. Just not all of the time. Although I really don't feel the need to have to explain myself, I will for the fact that we are an open and intelligent community. Now you are portraying me as some wreck-less punk with no concern for my own personal safety. This is simply not true. The truth is, I am very much concerned with my health and the quality of my life. I do not smoke. I don't drink and drive. I'm a vegetarian. I practice yoga 5 days a week. I pray to God. If it is 95 degrees out and I choose not to wear a helmet and a jacket before embarking on a leisurely ride, then that is the decision that I have made for myself that day. If during that ride I enjoy the wind and the sun, then I feel like I've made the right decision and I am thankful for the life that I have.

Now before you or anyone else decides flex your mental muscle by picking apart this post, studies have been done, discussions have been made, law have been enacted, and repealed. If you really feel the need to get something off your chest, please do not make any assumptions or generalizations about me. I'm a sensitive guy, and I don't really like being called names. ;)

One last thing, I want to address the sentiment that, if you're not in my insurance pool, then who cares. You joined a community, and you should care. If any of us were to get hurt in any way(helmet or no helmet), believe me, we would all feel it.
 
Kuyarico said:
X, I understand what you are saying and appreciate your comments. I do believe in safety and awareness. I do wear a helmet. Just not all of the time. Although I really don't feel the need to have to explain myself, I will for the fact that we are an open and intelligent community. Now you are portraying me as some wreck-less punk with no concern for my own personal safety. This is simply not true. The truth is, I am very much concerned with my health and the quality of my life. I do not smoke. I don't drink and drive. I'm a vegetarian. I practice yoga 5 days a week. I pray to God. If it is 95 degrees out and I choose not to wear a helmet and a jacket before embarking on a leisurely ride, then that is the decision that I have made for myself that day. If during that ride I enjoy the wind and the sun, then I feel like I've made the right decision and I am thankful for the life that I have.

Now before you or anyone else decides flex your mental muscle by picking apart this post, studies have been done, discussions have been made, law have been enacted, and repealed. If you really feel the need to get something off your chest, please do not make any assumptions or generalizations about me. I'm a sensitive guy, and I don't really like being called names. ;)

One last thing, I want to address the sentiment that, if you're not in my insurance pool, then who cares. You joined a community, and you should care. If any of us were to get hurt in any way(helmet or no helmet), believe me, we would all feel it.

The last comment I made was in response to the post I quoted stating that a helmet discussion was in the same vein as religon or politics. The fact that you wear a helmet and own a jacket in a state that doesnt have helmet laws says your not a punk, I never thought you were. And you hit the nail on the head with the last paragraph, the cafe community is by far one of the smallest minorities in the motorcycling world, I wanna keep as many of us around as possible!
 
Hey Kuyarico!
The "Safety Patrol" says, "Congratulations on DOING THE TON!!!!!". wooooo hooooo!!! :D
The "Safety Patrol" says, "tsk tsk, but I have no video like last time <ahem> so I can't give you a time out for breaking the speed limit!" hehehehe
Cuz yanno, I never speed! ::) ;D
 
butterflymethane said:
Hey Kuyarico!
The "Safety Patrol" says, "Congratulations on DOING THE TON!!!!!". wooooo hooooo!!! :D
The "Safety Patrol" says, "tsk tsk, but I have no video like last time <ahem> so I can't give you a time out for breaking the speed limit!" hehehehe
Cuz yanno, I never speed! ::) ;D

Kuyarico would like to celebrate by taking the Safety Patrol out to dinner at which time you can properly punish me for breaking the speed limit. ;D
 
Back
Top Bottom