No gods, 'busa masters

Represto

Over 1,000 Posts
Hello Friends,

I really am not a big fan of the stock CB550 ('78) master cylinder. I've got some clip-ons on there and real estate is limited. Not to mention simple things like checking fluid levels is a pain in the butt.

I've gabbing Noel's ear off about changing it...and he's recommended a Hyabusa MC. At first glance, there wasn't much on Ebay. Then I learned how to spell Hayabusa.

Does anyone have experience with other non-stock MC's on 550's? Do I just buy the lever and MC or should I grab the whole assembly?
 
Represto said:
Hello Friends,

I really am not a big fan of the stock CB550 ('78) master cylinder. I've got some clip-ons on there and real estate is limited. Not to mention simple things like checking fluid levels is a pain in the butt.

I've gabbing Noel's ear off about changing it...and he's recommended a Hyabusa MC. At first glance, there wasn't much on Ebay. Then I learned how to spell Hayabusa.

Does anyone have experience with other non-stock MC's on 550's? Do I just buy the lever and MC or should I grab the whole assembly?

You should PM Lola...
Her husband Duane is the owner of the Busa forum: www.busanation.com
he might have a set laying around or might know where to get one...
 
I just put a Master Cylinder off of a 2001 Kawasaki EX500 on my bike. I was looking at several and figured the EX500 parts don't demand the price that the 'Busa ones do. I was right for $24.00. I am very pleased with the performance, it doesn't take the hard squeeze my '74 Honda 750 one did.
 
It doesn't have to come off of a 'busa, it could come from any model so long as it fits and is the correct bore diameter. I can't stress this last point strongly enough!

When I switched to clip-ons, I had to switch to a master cylinder with a remote reservoir. This one came off a GSXR 600, not sure what year, but it's a 5/8" bore. I'd tried one from a TL1000 first, but it was a 14mm bore and just would not work.

2111881769_4cb61227e9_b.jpg
 
Good point about the bore. Didn't realise i had to watch out for that.

You front end looks crazy. What's with the reflector?? Do you have any pictures from another angle?
 
If you were to compare two bikes using the same brake caliper, one bike has a single disc setup while the other has dual disc(like the xs650 compared to the xs750 for example) the dual disc setup will have a larger master cylinder bore. The key in picking the right master cylinder is figuring out the optimum ratio of master cylinder piston area to the total area of all your caliper pistons. Decreasing bore size increases lever travel and stopping power. Increasing bore size decreases lever travel and gives a firmer feel but reduces braking power. The easiest rule of thumb is if you are using a single disc setup pick a master cylinder off a single disc bike. If you want to get more technical calculate the area of your intended caliper piston setup and find a bike with a similar caliper piston area. Without doing the math, I'm thinking a Busa with 2 six piston calipers will not have the optimum master cylinder bore for a lonely Honda single piston caliper :(
 
yeah, but dont forget the weight of our old bikes compared to a feather-weight busa!!..
I have Busa Front Masters on all my old bikes and they stop AMAZING!!...
 
Represto said:
Good point about the bore. Didn't realise i had to watch out for that.

You front end looks crazy. What's with the reflector?? Do you have any pictures from another angle?

2111856231_b50301ca54_b.jpg


2111964991_005d8af858_b.jpg


These were obviously taken before I tore it all down. Here're some more recent shots:

2765061508_6d416b0ee6_b.jpg


2765064012_ae57435c2d_b.jpg


2766895413_77e53de30f_b.jpg


2767738822_3643ae3af1_b.jpg
 
so how does one measure the bore? when i put my drag bars on my 360 the MC ran stright into the tach housing. so i was thinking of trying to find a different set-up.
 
dcmspikes said:
so how does one measure the bore? when i put my drag bars on my 360 the MC ran stright into the tach housing. so i was thinking of trying to find a different set-up.

what i did with my dragbar is flip the banjo bolt upside-down (it was still lower than the res.) and then re route the line, then bleed the brake just to be safe.... everything works out fine...
 
Back
Top Bottom