Proper flasher relay for a 76 CB500T?

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
I have 3 wires going to my blinker relay of my bike. Green, Black, and White. But only 2 wires on my relay. Im guessing that is the reason that my blinkers arent working. Because the wrong relay is on my bike.

Will any 12v blinker relay with 3 prongs work for me? How do I know what posts to connect the wires to since they are unmarked? Does it matter if I connect the wires to the wrong prongs on the relay?

Thanks guys!
-Aaron
 
any 2 pronged 12v relay would do.
I believe the green wire not connected?. If its not, just leave it that way and plug in the 2 that is currently hooked up.
I thought the same thing once. A 3 prong relay wont do anything. That green wire I believe is a power wire. Dont touch it.

oh yeah, you can plug in the other 2 wires into any prong.

Ur flashers are probably not working cuz the relay is fried

Cheers
 
Well the rear blinkers work! The front blinkers stay on as marker lights but when i switch on the blinker that side just goes out and the rear flashes.

Whats up with that?
 
How bright are the front lights when on as markers? They should be dim. If I'm correct, the front bulbs are dual filiment for this purpose. Make sure the bulbs are good.

Could be as simple as a bad ground. Could be miswired. Check against the wiring diagram.
 
Well the PO had cut the front blinker wires and stuffed them into the headlight shell.

I gave two orange wires and two blue wires. I dont know if both blue wires go to the right side and both orange to the left or if one blue and one orange on each side.

Of course the wiring diagram shows a green wire to each side with a blue on the right and a orange on the left.

Actually the bulbs are pretty bright i was surprised.

Ill go check them now.
 
Bulbs checked out fine. I went and grounded one wire from each blinker and got the same reaction. They work as marker lights but when the blinker switch is thrown that front blinker goes out and the rear blinker works.

In other news, all of mt other lights work fine. Everything electrical works but my horn and blinkers :)
 
Well after playing with her all morning I cant get the front blinkers to work. I guess I cant ride her to the first day of classes :(

BTW, the rear blinkers DO NOT light up as marker lights like the front does. They only light up when the blinkers are on.

Im lost.
 
The rear lights aren't supposed to act as running lights - just the front ones. I had the same on my CB550F.

I had the same trouble, and can't remember how I sorted it out.

Do you have the wiring diagram you can post up here? I'd like to look at it.
 
^Well that at least makes me happy :)

Here you are. Of course none of the diagrams match my bike. This is the closests I have.
Like I said, my bike has 2 black with a blue collar and 2 black with orange collars. I dont have any wires that are green going to my head lights. Im guessing the blinker housings ground out the light and one of the wires is the marker 12v and the other is a 12v blinker from the relay.

Thank you sir!

CB500T.jpg
 
That diagram doesn't have front running lights in the turn signals. Those are just good old fashioned indicator lights. I'll dig up my 550F wiring.
 
Here's the 550 wiring. Note the wires to the front signals, and the connections made in the switch table at the bottom showing which wires are connected at which position on the switch. I'll study it a bit.

CB550Wiring.jpg
 
You can download the 80MB PDF of the CB500/550 manual in the Manuals section - not for the 500T, but the wiring should be pretty darned close.
 
Well that makes alot more sense. I still dont see where the mis take is in my wiring though but I MAY have the Orange and orange w/white wires backwards. I may have spliced them back together incorrectly.

I was left with 3 inches of un-colored wire from the previous owner when he snipped the wires.
 
Back
Top Bottom