Rearsets for my 75 cb550f (..GSXR & R6..)

locOleoN

Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
OK so its all done and tuned up...I even left skidd marks from the rear tire on the road today... ;D
I just used an R6 brake side and a Gixxer shifter side.. (compliments of some Sponsors & Benefactors ;D)
Does it match???... who gives a shit... Is it comfortable?... who gives a shit...
But does it work??.. Hell ya!!

So here ya go...

Im not gonna go into details, (im too lazy to type out everything.... ), but if you guys have any questions, fire away!!..

R6 Brake Side:
IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg


GSXR Shifter side:
IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

Noel, was wondering why you didn't connect the brake rearset directly to the hub?!
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

Gordon said:
Noel, was wondering why you didn't connect the brake rearset directly to the hub?!

I did that at first but the angle on the bar to clear the rearshock had to be to sharp, (almost 2x 45 degree angles to get around the rar shock), then it would flex when I stepped on the brake pedal instead to pulling the brake drum.
The stock 6mm aluminum rod was too flimsy to take the angles so I tried to use an 8mm steel rod, (got all the necessary matching hardware), but I still got some flex.
NOw that I connected it straight to the brake actuator arm, I can actually lock the rear brake and pull a skid it I step to hard!!.. LOL...
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

(almost 2x 45 degree angles to get around the rar shock)

Something like this?! This is what Derek has done in http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=3729.0

DSC01503.jpg


DSC01501.jpg


Does it work perfectly?! Like is it smooth, does it actuate properly, etc?!
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

something like that w/o all the welds and braces...
Just think of the straight brake rod, bent in 45 degrees in 2 places... Too much flex...
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

what years are the R6 and Jizzer did you get them off of? I have a '78 that i want to do that to. And what kind of modifying did you have to do to the pedal/pegs?
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

snowman88 said:
what years are the R6 and Jizzer did you get them off of? I have a '78 that i want to do that to. And what kind of modifying did you have to do to the pedal/pegs?

the r6 rear brake is from a 2002. The Gixxer shifter side was from a 2001 I believe.. but you can use any year shifter side as long as the foot peg & shifter are use the same mountin peg, unlike the r6 shifter in which the foot peg and shifter are 2 different pieces.
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

just more pics:

Brake side:
IMG_0177.jpg


Shifter side:
IMG_0165.jpg


;D

So shiny!!
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

Noel,

Looking to basically the same thing as you did but with CBR954 rear sets. On the shifter side, do you have any rubbing of the linkage with the side stand when its up? The CBR linkage looks similar to yours. Do you have any rotational movement of the pegs at all. I know on the cbr mounts that is a locator nub (or whater you would call it) that the actual peg lines up with. Using the stock rear peg mounts on the 550 frame obviously does not have this. Where did you get the longer linkage from too?

Thanks
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

Noel said:
something like that w/o all the welds and braces...
Just think of the straight brake rod, bent in 45 degrees in 2 places... Too much flex...
I get that now. I tried that myself and its rubbish! The rod bends quite a lot, I tried using a thicker rod too, but then too its complicated and doesnt work well.

I'll try connecting it directly to the brake pedal cam. Lets see what works out.
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

Gordon said:
I get that now. I tried that myself and its rubbish! The rod bends quite a lot, I tried using a thicker rod too, but then too its complicated and doesnt work well.

I'll try connecting it directly to the brake pedal cam. Lets see what works out.
I think you'll find that its the best way to go...

hey Listo....I got the shifter side rod and end links at Brafasco and I made the brake side rod from cb450 pieces, (specifically the 2 steel threaded rods that holds the airbox & cover in place throught the frame), that I had laying around...
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

Represto said:
Noel, where did you get that brake actuator piece?

From Omar's Cafe Racer...

You can get LilBeast to chop your brake arm and weld a bit on to it for ya.
Cheaper than the $80 Omar piece.

you dont need it for your set up. Just use the modified brake arm (its bent),thats came with the set you bought off rudy...

OK so what happened was the cheap aluminum brake actuator arm that came with the raask rear-set kit snaped when we tried to mount it onto rudy's bike.
I had to improvise and bend and thread the stock brake arm and hook it up direct to the brake hub.

The actuator arm on my bike is the replacement piece that Omar had sent to Rudy, that he gave to me many months after...
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

That rod isn't going to work for me. I'm not sure if it's my exhaust or my shocks that are changing my layout from Rudy's...but it doesn't work. I also just realised that the rearsets get in the way of my kickstart. Bloody hell.
 
Re: Rearsets for my 75 cb550f

why wont it work with your bike?
It fit perfect on rudys cb550K

you'll have to remove your kick start, heat it and bend it to clear.
rudy was going to do that to his kick start.. Im not sure if he did.. if so you can ask him if he wants to trade yours for his bent one.
 
Back
Top Bottom