Removing top engine mount to cut down vibes. Dangerous?

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
All of my friends and family tell me that its insane removing my top engine mount when they see my bike.

Its actually a VERY good way to cut back on some of the twin chatter I was feeling on my bike at speed. I got the idea from the website in my sig.

Thoughts?
 
That's not a good idea and I wouldn't do it. By removing an anchor point, all the vibration will be redistributed to the other mounts and may cause extra metal fatigue to them. Also the top end will shake side to side and may cause uneven wear on the cylinders but that's just my theory. That's just the nature of the 180º vertical twin and ultimately caused their demise when the smoother 4 cylinder bikes gained popularity.
 
removing the part of the frame that makes you feel the vibrations doesnt remove the vibrations, it re-distrubutes them to the other mountingpoints (with added force) and will probably cause added metal fatigue and possibly rattle more shit loose.

also weakening the frame to save weight is a terrible trade off. this is why the famed balsa wood GSXR never took off.
 
Fear My Twin said:
All of my friends and family tell me that its insane removing my top engine mount when they see my bike.

Its actually a VERY good way to cut back on some of the twin chatter I was feeling on my bike at speed. I got the idea from the website in my sig.

Thoughts?
The norton commando isolastic system kept the top mounts but let them vibrate in the vertical plane of the motor. if you made a head steady like a norton, that would help dampen vibration and provide support too, i think, FWIW...... i may do that soemday after all the other crap...
 
Back
Top Bottom