Riding Tips for a new rider!

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
Ill admit it. I dont have much time on a bike under my belt.

I had a 76 Honda 50cc Moped growing up. Then a 98 ZX7R which I was rear ended on 2 weeks after buying it.

That being said I was looking for any tips you veterans may have for someone new to the sport of motorcycle riding.

I would ask my dad but he rides a 61' Harley Trike Police Bike. Hes had since 67! It was his first and currently only bike.
 
ride defensively!!! with everybody you see near the side of the road, just plan on them pulling out in front of you, that way you are actually ready to move when they do. its saved my butt on more than one ocassion. last year I noticed a SUV sitting on the shoulder of a 2-lane highway with their foot on the brakes, out in the middle of no-where. figuring they were about to do something, I watched her and the on-coming car. as soon as the car got by, the SUV flipped a U-turn right in front of me, it was damn close, but I was ready and avoided something very ugly.

basically, be aware of your surroundings at all times. it'll carry over into vehicle driving too. I enjoy riding, but I look at everybody else as if they are out to get me. ;D and listen for anything out of the ordinary too. I've had my Hawk for 12 years, only 2 incidents I've had were my own fault. (cornering)
 
Ride with confidence... cagers and other motorists can smell your fear and they'll take you out! Assume that they are ALL out to get you... INCLUDING OTHER BIKERS AND SCOOTERS!!! I've had more than a few close calls with other two wheeled vehicles passing me in my own lane... usually at red lights as it turns green... twice I've had idiots think it was OK for them to rip past me in the right track as I was rolling on and lifting my foot... one guy I caught and he paid for it.... the other I trust karma to catch up to him.

Watch your placement in other's blind spots.... make eye contact... and always yield for lane changers, back off and wave em over. Pass quickly better ahead than behind... and watch your ass!

Oh... TAKE THE COURSE!!
 
Get Turn-out mufflers...
The Louder the better!!..

They may not see you coming but they will definately hear you coming!!!

Loud saves lives!!!..
 
Ride within your abilities and keep the ego at home.

Being seen is very important, so bright head lights, reflective clothing especially at night.

Expect the dorks around you to do something stupid so you NEED to be aware of your environment. Proper riding position (blocking position, stay out of ppl's blind spots, stay relaxed and if someone is riding your ass, move over, let them go.)

Remember, you're not protected by much, so rather than get angry, just get out of the way. Motorcycles and riders will almost always sustain more damage than someone in a cage.
 
Well I certainly hear you guys about riding like everyone is out to kill me. I have the scar from my wrist medially to my right axillary area, then onto my righ pec. Ill have to post a pic one day.

Good tips guys and gals!

How about any specific diferences between how to finess the motor while riding? I know not to use back pressure to slow my bike. Anything else?

IE: How high to shift at?
Idleing at stop lights in gear?
Holding the engine at highway speeds for extended periods of time?
Should I be oulling back fully on the clutch lever when shifting?

These may seem like obvious questions to some of you but I have about 2 weeks of street riding and about .5 a mile on my 500t. ???

Thanks a ton!
 
How high to shift at?
When your balls start to buzz... seriously though it depends on the riding your doing... running closer to the redline is for getting up to speed fast... for cruising off the line you just need to get to high enough RPMs than when you up shift the engine doesn't bog too low.... agin very specific to each bike.

Idleing at stop lights in gear?
Absolutley... can't get out of the way in neutral... you may need to blip the throttle once and a while to stop the carbs from loading up. The accepted and taught method is left foot on the ground, right foot on the brake, clutch in and right hand ready to roll on the throttle.

Holding the engine at highway speeds for extended periods of time?
As long as the bike is moving and the engine is sound that's what it's there for... if it isn't up to it you'll figure it out soon enough.
If you mean reving the engine on the stand... not great... that's why MC shops have BIG fans to move air over the engine.

Should I be oulling back fully on the clutch lever when shifting?
Not neccessarily... I find 33% in is more than enough to disengage the clutch but that is VERY specific to each bike. If you HAVE to fully pull in the lever to shift you need to adjust your cables or possibly look at the clutch itself for wear, bad spring plates etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom