SIMPLE REAR SET/BRAKES SET-UP

hawyn9

Active Member
EXTRA CABLE SHORTENED USEING CLEVISES
DSC05220640x480.jpg


REAR CABLE ATTACHED TO A SHORTENED BRAKE ARM
DSC05243640x480.jpg


FRONT BRAKE SET-UP
DSC05276.jpg


SHIFTER SET-UP
DSC05273.jpg
 
...looks like you have a really short and symmetrical lever (arms), do you have enough leverage and movement? how long is the shift arm at the fwd end?
you get good traction at that tire pressure? ha
keep it going..........joe
 
The top of both arms are 1/2" longer and the shifter arm will be 3" long which will give me a short amount of throw when shifting. Still experimenting and learning so thank you for your feedback. I take all ideas to my builds and it helps. Thanks.
 
joea said:
...looks like you have a really short and symmetrical lever (arms), do you have enough leverage and movement?

Agreed, unless your handlebar brake lever is 2 feet long, there's not going to be enough mechanical advantage to apply sufficient pulling force to effectively stop, or even slow down. Why did you set up the front brake like that? Why didn't you just use the long arm? The rear brake looks iffy too. If you apply the basic principals of levers – force, fulcrum and resistance, your rearsets will work properly.
 
Hi DrJ, the front brake arm is stock and I didn't change anything up front. The rear arm you are right, i will have to lengthen the arm and also my simple rear sets will change as well. I looked at them again and took what you said and I will make a change. Thsnk again, always appreciated. I am new to building bikes and take a backseat to those w/ skills and learn correct geometries and terminologies like this.
 
hawyn9 said:
Hi DrJ, the front brake arm is stock and I didn't change anything up front.

Okay I see now. Got confused since I'm not sure what the short end with the clevis mount is for. I thought that's where the brake cable was going to be mounted. Just to add, I find that a ratio of 3:1 for length of foot lever:length of elbow is minimal for decent leverage.
 
Back
Top Bottom