Stubborn Phillips head screws?

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
How do you guys back out stuck phillips head screws?

I tried everything. I soak them in PB Blaster, then find my trusty #2 phillips head, then I blow torch the screw and strip away.

What do you guys do?

PS Im trying to change a clutch cable.

Thanks!
 
You need an 'impact driver' - a cheap $10 tool. Only thing that will get those screws out. I never touch an engine or other phillips screw without one.

Make sure it's on 'loosen' before hammering down on it. Don't do anything till you get one.

impact.jpg
 
Impact drivers do come in air, electric, cordless etc, but for 99% of what we need 'em for, the $10 hand tool is the best bet. Again, make sure it's on loosen before using it. They work both ways.
 
The best ones have rubber coated grip and a bit larger in diameter than the bare steel ones. Larger diameter equals more leverage to loosen that stuck bolt. If you manage to strip the phillips head with the driver, use a dremel wtih a cutting disk and cut a slot across the head. That works well. If all else fails, reach for the screw extractors.
 
Fear My Twin said:
Holy cow, I just found it for $2.99!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93481

Thanks!

That's too small - you need the bigger phillips bits - #3 I think it is at least. Look for one with big fat black bits. The driver itself will have a 1/2" fitting on it that can also accept sockets, as well as the adaptor it comes with that holds the bits.
 
Search eBay for 'impact driver' and sort by price - lots of options there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IMPACT-DRIVER-1-2-SOFT-GRIP-WITH-CASE-AND-BITS_W0QQitemZ180151255229QQihZ008QQcategoryZ11704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 
Sears has them for under $20. It's the one TinTin pictured. Works great and there are Sears all over the place...well in the US there are.

--ATB, Chris
 
Stainless allen head are what I use on both my race lumps(cb 350's) don't want to measure each one to replace them,go to service honda .com and browse through there on line fiche,,,oh if that semi stripped screw still won't come out,carefully drill the head of the screw away using .250 drill bit..then apply the jaws of death(vise grips),,,,,good luck
 
think i paid $15 for mine at crappy tire, and if you do strip screw head also at crappy t grab some screw/bolt extractors, you us then with drill to remove screws with stripped heads.
 
These impact drivers work GREAT if you use them correctly - That means pushing down on the handle part to take up all the slack so that when you hit it with the hammer all the force directly goes to turning the screw and none is wasted compressign the spring. If you're compressing the spring with the hammer blow you will likely strip the screw.

Also all stuck bolts are easier if you "wake them up" with a good solid blow from a hammer first. At least that's my experience.
 
Thanks guys!

I havent gotten a chance to swing by Sears yet. With school starting and everything. I actually had pretty good success with using a blow torch on my points cover phillips heads. Thats about it :(

This should be a sticky! Hint hint
 
Saying, "Fuck this shit" then riding it as it is also works pretty good to!!.. LOL..
 
Believe me, I have said that multiple times. Then when I fire her up and pull the clutch cable I remember thats why Im fighting the phillips heads. lol

The clutch cable is snapped :(
 
Any/many stripped phillips on my bike get replaced with allen heads. They are cheap and come in all sizes. As someone else mentioned, Sears Hardware is a godsend. I have one within sight of my house.
 
Well I finally found time to hit up sears. Guess what. Its not in stock.

Sooooo since I was determined to make some progress on the bike today I went to harbor freight and picked one up for $3.19 with a phillips #2 head.

Sparked up the blow torch, "woke up my screws", placed the impact driver on, took most of the tension out of the spring, a few good blows with the rubber mallet and they all broke free.

Too bad I forgot the stock screws at home. I was going to pick up some allen heads on my lunch brteak :(

Thanks guys!
 
Back
Top Bottom