Teach me something about my front brake....options?

AzHonda

Coast to Coast
I have a 76 CB360T. This is my first bike since 1993. I am wanting to run stainless steel lines to the front disk.

My question is. Do I have to stay with the origional setup and just replace the rubber lines with SS or can I run SS straight down to the caliper and get rid of the hard line down there as well?

Sorry for the noob question but, I am a noob.
 
You can run a SS line from the master cylinder to the caliper, no problem. Trash the hard line sections. I can fix you up with a custom braided stainless steel line for $44 plus shipping.
 
Unless you want to keep the original style brake light switch and the original master cylinder... in which case you'd need two lines.
 
you can run directly to the caliper, but keep in mind, the caliper wasn't designed for a banjo fitting, so you may not get a proper seal. slingshot-cycles.com makes custom stainless lines and he does the hard sections now as well. imo, the best upgrade is to trash the old brakes and put half a cbr front brake on it, it won't feel like you're squeezing a block of wood and will give you a very progressive braking response, so much so that you'll discover just how much the front end on that bike sucks
 
As long as the mating surface is dead flat, a banjo should work. Hard lines are a throwback to copying car disk brake systems. They are no longer used - for a reason.

Agree 100% about caliper upgrades. Any single sided caliper can be adapted, EX500 style is popular with Kawasaki riders, I use SV650 calipers because they are usually available cheap and work well. In fact they work too well and I may go back to a single caliper. With two the front end feels like it wants to fold under the bike. Way more brake than fork.

CBR600F3 or CBR900 disk can be made to work for less weight, more friction and larger diameter.

You can also use a modern master cylinder with its own brake switch or get a banjo switch. Lots of options.
 
Something like this one from Mike's XS
29-7002.jpg
would do teh job in almost any custom application. They list a 10x 1.00mm and 10x 1.25mm options.
 
teazer said:
Something like this one from Mike's XS
29-7002.jpg
would do teh job in almost any custom application. They list a 10x 1.00mm and 10x 1.25mm options.

So that would run from the break lever straight down to the caliper? Or to the brake sensor block (is that what it's called?) then a SS line to the brake lever?
 
Az,
I see what he means by it. It is a banjo bolt with a built-in compact brake light switch. It attaches the brake line to the master cylinder, and the wires from it go to the brake light circuit. I LOVE it. It is perfect for your application. You can do your brake line with a single hose, and replace the brake switch in the TEE block with this.
 
AlphaDogChoppers said:
Az,
I see what he means by it. It is a banjo bolt with a built-in compact brake light switch. It attaches the brake line to the master cylinder, and the wires from it go to the brake light circuit. I LOVE it. It is perfect for your application. You can do your brake line with a single hose, and replace the brake switch in the TEE block with this.

Nice! AlphaDog, sending pics out to you in the next hour. This is the setup I want to go with.
 
Back
Top Bottom