What do the "ON" & "P" positions on the ignition exactly power?

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
Im not getting any power to any fuse but the MAIN in my fuse block when the key is "ON". Do the head, tail, and other fuses only get power when the bike is actually running? Or do I have a problem with my ignition switch?

76 CB500T.

Thanks guys!
 
When you turn the key to the ON position, everythinng is live. All the lights will operate, even if you don't have the motor running. The P position is for Park. The only thing that works is the taillight, all other systems are not live. Don't make the mistake of leaving your bike with the key in the P position. The taillight will drain the battery if left long enough. BTW the key can't be removed (at least it shouldn't) in the ON position but can in the P position.
 
huh, thats really good to know! Thanks

I dont have any bike knowledge nor does anyone in my family. I'm the first one to straddle an engine.

That combined with the fact that I dont have the manual for my bike, its frustrating.

You wouldnt happen to know how to remove the ignition would you? I tried doing it before and I got everything loose but It just wouldnt pop out of its mount. I didnt want to break anything so I didnt put much pressure on anything.

Its also odd that when the keyis in the "ON" position the lights in the gauges work and the neutral light works and theres no power to any other fuses but the main fuse.

Am I still looking at the ignition itself?
 
Back
Top Bottom