Why wont my bike shifty back into neutral when its running? It does when its on

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
I dont have any problems shifting the bike through its gears when shes not running. But today when I was going for a ride I couldnt get it back into neutral when pulling back up in my driveway. No problems shifting through the other gears though.

Whats up with that?
 
Re: Why wont my bike shifty back into neutral when its running? It does when its

I don't know a whole lot about transmissions, but it's been my experience with all my bikes that that just happens once in a while, if I'm at a stop light or sign I'll just hold the clutch in, if I'm stopping I'll shut the bike off and coax it in with my hand.
 
Re: Why wont my bike shifty back into neutral when its running? It does when its

Oh ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure that there wasnt a larger problem at hand. I am yet to acually get it into neutral while its running. Its always by hand.

Glad I heard it from the master.
 
I sometimes have the same problem, no fix but here is how I do it. Shifting into neutral while driving is not a problem, when I am at a stop light and want to put it in neutral I have to put the bike in 1st gear, slightly release the clutch then I am able to shift to neutral. If I don't do this, I just shift from 1st to 2nd. Slightly releasing the clutch engages the gear to be able to shift to neutral, it hard to explain but try and it should work.
 
Oh ok, so while in 1st gear I slightly pull on the clutch lever and pop the shifter up one? My neutral light is giving me problems so I stalled about 12 times today :)

Thanks!
 
Cafe_to_go said:
I sometimes have the same problem, no fix but here is how I do it. Shifting into neutral while driving is not a problem, when I am at a stop light and want to put it in neutral I have to put the bike in 1st gear, slightly release the clutch then I am able to shift to neutral. If I don't do this, I just shift from 1st to 2nd. Slightly releasing the clutch engages the gear to be able to shift to neutral, it hard to explain but try and it should work.

That's exactally what I do... works when the bike won't shift from N into 1st too.

I will usually put some upwards pressure on the shifter, slowly let out the clutch and teh shifter will pop up when it can... takes a fine touch but it works.
 
You might also try switchig to a synthetic oil. It worked wonders for a friend of mine with his newer sport tourer honda.
 
Wow, Im pretty shocked this seems to be like a pretty common problem and I havent found a single thing on it anywhere. Werid.
 
Did you try adjusting the clutch,,as per the manual??,,,,,,If your clutch center is worn the steel plates won't release or the plates are were overheated and warped,,,you can't find neutral because the clutch is dragging, and certain oils can be a problem,but that is usually with a cold motor,,,good luck
 
Well to be honest I just winged it with the clutch cable adjustment. The clymer just showed one picture of the adjustment screw on the side of the cover and said to tighten turn this way and to loosen turn that way.

Too bad I dont know what the cable should feel like in the first place to compare it to. How do I know if the clutch is adjusted properly?

The lever has a smooth pull operation and I can get in all the gears with no problem when the bike is off.
 
adjust the screw(engine) then back it off an eighth of a turn,now remove all slack from your cables,then adjust your clutch lever.....still can't find neutral?,,,,,,pull the cover and inspect the clutch for wear,,again examine the clutch centre for signs of notching along the face of the grooves,,,,,,,as well as the clutch drum were the soft plates ride in the large outer slots, check the steel plates to see there not warped,,,,OR just say fuck it,,,and learn to find neutral on the fly!!!!!!!!
 
Re: Why wont my bike shifty back into neutral ??pics?

the shifter shaft is located thru the engine by one or two circlips. find them and take up some of the slack near them. may help . other alternative is to lay bare shift linkage and make sure it is al lined up and not worn or sligtly bent, for what it does, it's lightly built. little teeth taking t from stomping feet, am curnelty doing thiss myself. anyone want pics and instructions?
 
Re: Why wont my bike shifty back into neutral when its running? It does when its

^ Yes sir! Please, especially since its on a 500t I presume. ;D
 
I have raced 3 honda's and I doubt that is your problem,,but check and see if there is any binding in the shifter shaft,,,and sloppy (worn)connections at the linkage...........then go back to square one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Re: Why wont my bike shifty back into neutral when its running? It does when its

i know that cb/cl/sl350's often have a hard time finding neutral or show a false neutral when idling even when everything is in proper order. usually if you rock the bike back or forward a few inches you will be able to find it. when you are at a light i find better to hold the clutch in case the sorority girl on her cell phone drinking a latte fails to break in time you can maneuver out of the way.
 
Back
Top Bottom