Winter Storage

Usually I park it in the garage, pull out the key and wait for another day warm enough to ride. If snow shows up before that I'll pull the battery while I'm waiting for that sunny day.

If the sunny day looks a long way off I might turn off the petcock and run it til the carbs are dry - Now I have to revise that plan due to the diaphram petcock with no OFF position....Hmmmm......
 
In Toronto, the weather is such that you can get away without winterizing, so long as you're willing to get cold once in a while.

I still toss in some Seafoam into the tank to stabilize the gas, as I know it won't get used quickly. We went riding last Jan 1, and I hope to repeat this year. Ride every month at least once or twice.
 
OK... here's an answer from someone who still knows what winter is!

-35, 5' of snow in the yard, and not a snowballs hope in hell of riding anything except a snowmobile in the foreseeable future.

Here's my list in no particular order:

Weight off the tires (centre stand is sufficient, side stand is not)
Bike is washed dry and waxed
Lube all joints
FULL gas tank with stabilizer, RUN IT THROUGH THE CARBS! In the spring I drain this out for the lawn mower and fill with fresh.
Fog the engine with engine fogging oil
IF you get water in your garage/shed in the spring put the bike up on blocks to keep it out of the water (see pics :o)
Block off the air-intake so mice don't nest in the air-box...don't laugh... they will
Block off the exhaust pipes for the same reason
Pull the battery, put it in your house on a trickle charger for the duration (do I have to tell you NOT to put the battery on the concrete floor?)
A mist of WD40 or other spray lube on corrosion susceptible parts is recommended.
Cover bike with a good quality breathable cover



 
It's as warm there right now as it has been here. 10 degrees on Saturday. What are you complaining about?

Get a treadmill for the bike so you can ride it in the garage.
 
Back
Top Bottom