XS750 Rearsets?

Womblezombie

New Member
Been working on a 1978 Yamaha XS750 for a while and it is finally back on the road, biggest problem now is the position of those pegs. I have seen the Raask ones but since the bike currently has a 3-1 exhaust (hopefully soon changed to a 3-3) there is a lot of unnecessary bracket on those. I know there are a few XS750's around here and figured someone may have come up with some ingenious solutions that didn't require too much fabrication (wishful thinking but its a starting point).

Not that it really helps but here is a photo from a while ago, was in the process of sorting the seat
PICT0477.jpg
 
I wil get some close up photos when I next get over to the bike, probably Thursday. I did wonder if the passenger peg mounts might be in a good position to mount them, I will get photos of that bracket too.
 
The passenger peg mount will be pretty far back I think. Seems like the general rule is that your pegs should fall vertically under your nuts (bits of your a girl), I think you'd be worse off than stock.

That being said, the stock pegs mounting points are the same left to right on the triples, at least on both of mine they are.
I think you could use the lower mounting point for a single pivot on peg setup (R6 take-offs) and be pretty well served.
Might be worth looking into.
 
Good looking bike. I am doing the same on a '76, looks almost identical except the color scheme on the tank is reversed. I would love to see some pics of the finished seat. I just scrapped a home made seat I have been slowly working on for months.

As for the rearsets I was thinking of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-Folding-Rearsets-Rear-Set-Tarozzi-NEW-/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110528102829 but haven't gotten them yet so I can't say. I like that they fold so I can maintain use of the kickstart without modifying the lever ( I hope). And as far as mounting I was thinking of drilling a hole into the existing bracket of the passenger footpeg further forward. Not sure if this will work, was going to check it out when I get them. They just got bumped down the priority list a notch since I am now going to buy a seat.

You should check http://www.yamaha-triples.org/ The guys on there are great and there are a bunch of cafe builds there as well.

Good luck, would love to see your progress.
 
Still waiting to get to the garage and get the photos, thanks for the advice. I had heard of people using R6 pegs on these but have never seen any photos of this conversion, the lower mounting bolt would seem a good option though.

That set on ebay are nice, I had been looking at these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-universal-rearsets-classic-and-cafe-racer-/170479696025?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27b161b899 but they dont fold.

When I get over to the bike I will get some more photos now it is a little more complete. The seat really is a first attempt and I think will be used as a mould to make some more that can be chopped to try a few more things. As this is based on an original seat pan it is wide, looks a bit weird over the rear wheel which is stock and pretty skinny. Still trying to find out the colour on the tank though, looks black til it sits in the sun and it has a green flake in there too, any ideas?
 
I'm trying to find rearsets for my xs750 also so keep us updated!

Anyone have any luck working with the universal rearsets off of ebay?
 
It should be a relatively simple matter of hanging any pivot on peg (R6 style) on the lower OE peg mounts. Short that, a simple bracket could be made to accomodate just about any rearsets you could want without resporting to the passenger (read as: contortionist) position.

Drop me a PM and I'll happily make brackets or mounts for your rearsets.
 
Swagger said:
It should be a relatively simple matter of hanging any pivot on peg (R6 style) on the lower OE peg mounts. Short that, a simple bracket could be made to accomodate just about any rearsets you could want without resporting to the passenger (read as: contortionist) position.

Drop me a PM and I'll happily make brackets or mounts for your rearsets.

Nice man, thanks for the offer! I'll let you know.
 
In truth, anyone can make them for that bike. It's got just about the perfect mounts already built into the frame. I'd be happy to help but you could do it yourself too mate. Just throwing it out there.....
 
Back
Top Bottom