the RaZoR - move along, nothing to see here!

Re: the RaZoR - shiny (not)!

Thanks for the anodising information - these are the things you normally have to learn the hard way!

I also need to look at the colour differences between cast and billet alloys.

Crazy

item.JPG

Re: the RaZoR - light!

As a break from polishing I've started on one of the subsidiary tasks for this build: The LED headlight.
I have MBellRacing to blame thank for inspiring this extra complication!

The headlight from the donor bike quite fortuitously turned out to be perfect for the modification. When the extraneous metalwork is removed the remaining aperture provides clearance for the LED unit:

item.JPG

The seven LED unit with heatsink, lens, driver, and thermal tape are ready to go:

item.JPG

I need to make a mounting bracket and clamp to hold it all together and I should have a high/low brightness headlight!

Crazy

I can't picture what it will look like yet....But I have a feeling it's gonna be awesome!.....I gotta figure out how to do these LED's for my tail lights/rear blinkers

DesmoBro - I'm going for LED's for tail/stop light and all blinkers but I haven't decided on which way to tackle it yet!

Crazy

Re: the RaZoR - over my head!

I've been busy with bits and pieces of the build but not much actually completed.

Electrics aren't my strong point so I might be getting a bit out of my depth with my plans.

Digital instrumentation with about 25 functions - it will take forever to program!

item.JPG

Programmable ignition:

item.JPG

and a last, unnecessary complication - a keyless ignition unit:

item.JPG

Crazy

item.JPG

def subscribed. im interested in this LED situation. you got the parts online? i saw the other thread, can't remember who wrote it.

This build goes to show you that the only limit to what you can build is what you can dream up.

the RaZoR - over my head!

stroker crazy said:
Thanks for the interest guys! It gives me encouragement when all my friends think that I'm crazy.

You are crazy haha... Hence the name?

But who isn't these days, what part of aus are you from?

I chose the name for its appropriateness!

For my sins I'm condemned to live in Sydney's inner west. I see you're from near hippie heaven, if the map is to be believed.

Crazy

Yeh mate, plenty of hippies around here, can't wait to cruise past on my 2 stroke and leave the smell of premixed fuel in the air...

Are you planning on registering this bike? How do you plan on getting it through blue slip?

I intend to register the bike - it will look enough like a RZ350 to pass muster with anyone who isn't familiar with 80s two-strokes. As far as I'm concerned it's just a restoration (with a few modifications!).
The motor has the same crankcase number as the frame so that might help but if not I will change it for a genuine 350 for registration purposes.
It's a bit of a punt but worth the effort!

Crazy

There is always a way around everything with the rta anyway... It helps if you know a nice mechanic too haha

Good luck with the rest of your build, I'll be watching

Re: the RaZoR - unexciting update!

Not much to report - still polishing alloy bits, still waiting for chambers to be built (!!!!)

While working on the front brake calipers I realised that the high-tensile bolts holding the caliper halves together have a 1mm thread pitch rather than the more easily obtainable 1.25mm. As a result I have decided to polish the original bolts and refinish them in black oxide.

I have a kit for black oxide arriving from Caswell on Monday or Tuesday so I will have some fun trying it out. If it works well I will probably use it on other steel bits such as the rear sprocket, brake disc centres, etc. Will post the results (with photos!) soon.

Crazy

item.JPG

Re: the RaZoR - unexciting update!

Please do! That could open up a lot of windows for future projects here.......

Re: the RaZoR - no news is no news!

No progress on the chambers - the engineer is busy with his main money earner, a '73 Porsche race car (they won two races last weekend and will be racing again next weekend).
I can't convince him that my stroker is much more important.

The black oxide kit hasn't arrived - apparently interstate shipments of hazardous goods can be slow. Hope to have it this coming Monday or Tuesday, a week later than previously expected.

It's frustrating to wait out these periods when no substantial progress is being made! Patience doesn't seem to be coming with age, quite the reverse in fact.

I did however receive a T-shirt from Heiwa Motorcycle in Hiroshima, so it's not all gloom!

Crazy

item.JPG

Back
Top Bottom