Project Zero

Maritime said:
Cool post a build thread on the teardrop in the "other projects" section!

I agree! I would be very interested in seeing that! What did you start with as a trailer base? Ive thought about buying one of those harbor freight trailers to start with but they are pretty tiny. I figure I can could just make the frame bigger and use the neck and axle etc.

I plan on doing a very in depth build thread on all the forums I'm on. The trailer is a 1700lb Harbor Freight frame. Picked it up for less than $300 when it was in sale and they put on another 20% off coupon. It actually is really solid once you out a floor in it. I plan on upgrading the wheels and tires because they're really cheap. Don't buy the 1200lb trailer. It is garbage and worthless once you build the cabin and load some camping gear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Good deal, Northern tool has a 5x8 as well folks use. I have been thinking about doing one of these as I am sick of sleeping on the ground and after seeing what manufactures charge for a pre-made one I can easily build my own for way less.

lonelywolf8588 said:
I plan on doing a very in depth build thread on all the forums I'm on. The trailer is a 1700lb Harbor Freight frame. Picked it up for less than $300 when it was in sale and they put on another 20% off coupon. It actually is really solid once you out a floor in it. I plan on upgrading the wheels and tires because they're really cheap. Don't buy the 1200lb trailer. It is garbage and worthless once you build the cabin and load some camping gear.

I thought it looked like one. What do you think your total weight will be - loaded with gear when towing it?

The cabin is probably around 400-500lbs. With all my gear I plan on coming in total weight in the trailer around 1000lbs. I really haven't figured it out yet.

I got a Harbor Freight 1725lb trailer when it was on offer in January, didn't have extra 20% off but it was about $330.00 including tax
Planning on making it convertible from bike trailer to mini camper.
2 CB360's will be around 650lbs, total weight around 1200 or so?
Trailer is plated for 1900 lbs gross so it comes in well under max weight (I don't have a Harley or Gold Wing to weigh me down ;D )

crazypj said:
I got a Harbor Freight 1725lb trailer when it was on offer in January, didn't have extra 20% off but it was about $330.00 including tax
Planning on making it convertible from bike trailer to mini camper.
2 CB360's will be around 650lbs, total weight around 1200 or so?
Trailer is plated for 1900 lbs gross so it comes in well under max weight (I don't have a Harley or Gold Wing to weigh me down ;D )

The trailers are under rated for safety. I plan on being well clear of the total weight. I can still remove mine if I want also. There are like 18 bolts that go through the floor and attach the cabin. I plan on buying one of the 4x4 trailers and making an off road expedition trailer when I'm done with this one.

lonelywolf8588 said:
The trailers are under rated for safety. I plan on being well clear of the total weight.

I don't think my little B2300 could drag a fully loaded trailer ;D

Since you posted this I have been looking and found a set of free plans, and I also plan to make my sleeper part removable and sides that can go on to use as utilitly. I figure if I mounted 4 leveling jacks on the corners of the sleeper/camper cab and use the stake pockets with pins or bolts as the achor points I could just put the jacks down, pull the pins/bolts and then jack a little higher and just pull the trailer out from under, then put utility sides on and haul bike or dirt or whatever. I can't afford or store multiple trailers so thanks to this thread I now have plans to make one double duty ;D I may go the northen tool route to get a 5x10 but I also could just overhang the HF by 6" either side, I want a queen bed to fit.

Nice work so far.

Amazing how many of us have the same interest outside of murdercycles... I have wanted to build a teardrop for years!
Keep us posted!

It's a motorised bicycle or motorcycle

Hoosier Daddy said:
Amazing how many of us have the same interest outside of murdercycles...

I really hate that term.
I've been riding and racing since I was 11 yrs old, (it will be 46 yrs in September)
Worst accidents I've had have all been in work doing demonstrations for belligerent/stupid students, never had a serious accident on a bike, (probably cracked a few ribs once) the broken arm I got was from falling off a stepladder ::)
Arm and back injuries were in work, the real bad part, not my classes but 'helping' other instructors :mad:

Back
Top Bottom