A CB360 Build

Cool!
So voltage when idling to the female tail running light wire (brown) is 11.0 vDC. I'm a bit confused at what this means. I hooked up the OE taillight and this isn't enough voltage to light her up at all. Brake works fine on the OE tail just as on the LED tail.

There's loss in the system somewhere?

That brown wire comes direct from the key switch.

Sent from my iPhone

Yup. Voltage drop is caused by resistance in the system. Poor connections or lots of connections will both cause that issue.

That said, I don't think 11V would be low enough so that your tail light doesn't work. Does the light work if you run it straight from the battery?

So I disconnect the OE tail and tested on the battery. Golden. Hooked back up to the harness. Golden... Swore a bit and thought there must be a loose connection somewhere. Hooked up LED tail, golden. Started bike and flickering returns. Will your R/R level this out Matt or is it the nature of the LED beast?

PS - hopping online to order a new unit from you Sonreir so you have my info. Any options for overnight shipping in your checkout ;)

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think a new R/R is going to help with the flickering.

I wrote about it a few pages back:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65771.msg769741#msg769741

Yea, I went back and wrapped the harness where it passes by the coils but realized in re-reading that I never ran a ground wire.

Bike appears to be charging. I cannot explain why the multimeter isn't showing the figures we'd expect, but overall I am not seeing a drop on voltage after riding with/without lights on. I'm super perplexed having checked with both a cheapo craftsman multimeter and a $200 Fluke meter. One theory I had is that the RMS reading on the Fluke is being too conservative (not including the spikes that would register a 13.x + voltage reading. Will continue to keep an eye on it.

Rode about 10 miles this morning. Feels strong on acceleration and idles good, but a good amount of backfiring when I am off the throttle. This seems to be a newer development as the last few short rides didn't have the same amount of backfiring. Going to recheck timing.

Sonreir said:
Looks like a possible voltage regulator issue.
I would say a definite VR issue ;)
The Fluke may have a fast reaction time but it shouldn't be picking up 50~60+ Htz without telling you? (mechanical VR)

mchltshcr said:
Bike appears to be charging. I cannot explain why the multimeter isn't showing the figures we'd expect, but overall I am not seeing a drop on voltage after riding with/without lights on. I'm super perplexed having checked with both a cheapo craftsman multimeter and a $200 Fluke meter. One theory I had is that the RMS reading on the Fluke is being too conservative (not including the spikes that would register a 13.x + voltage reading. Will continue to keep an eye on it.

Rode about 10 miles this morning. Feels strong on acceleration and idles good, but a good amount of backfiring when I am off the throttle. This seems to be a newer development as the last few short rides didn't have the same amount of backfiring. Going to recheck timing.

Could be heatcycling has sealed up variations in rubber manifold or you've burned out carbon from port/pipe?

Will run some tests and report back on the back popping.

I can report that after my ride home from work battery was at 13.6. After sitting for a while battery was at 12.6. It appears we are charging.

Sent from my iPhone

Oh man. What a beauty! I haven't been here for a while - it's amazing to see the finished product.

Can you tell me about the XS coils you installed? How come you went for them?

And how is your battery mounted? Looks about the same size as mine - I haven't mounted it yet, back on the build this weekend!

el barto said:
Oh man. What a beauty! I haven't been here for a while - it's amazing to see the finished product.

Can you tell me about the XS coils you installed? How come you went for them?

And how is your battery mounted? Looks about the same size as mine - I haven't mounted it yet, back on the build this weekend!
I bought the xs coils as well and it's because they fit directly into the old coil brackets. The primary wires need to be relocated and new ends installed but wasn't hard and worth the effort.

Duchat said:
I bought the xs coils as well and it's because they fit directly into the old coil brackets. The primary wires need to be relocated and new ends installed but wasn't hard and worth the effort.

Thanks man. Is it worth getting a new condenser, too?

I checked mine first. My coils had high resistance and the new coils got me 3.5k ohms lower. A bad condenser will wear out your points early due to excessive arcing. They can be checked for serviceability. Personally I have a pamco ignition so I don't have one anymore.

I chose the coils because of reading this and other threads. I have only seen one bike older than mine (beautiful restomod cb450) on the road all summer other than at vintage events. All thanks to knowledge of the DTT.

Sorry,
Hijack over

Back
Top Bottom