Honda CB550 four.. single carb.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Oh I never said I had a problem... I just hope to get a bunch of cheap carb banks when this goes off like bottle rockets!!! 8) 8) 8) :eek:
roger that ! it is so simple tho if it was better to have one throttle on a 4 all the mfg's would be doing it ! think of the savings in production costs ! but you NEVER see it anymore,on anything, it is a step backwards.period
but a bolt on kit for the below average intelligence brat builder is a super idea
they can't ride well enough to use horsepower and are too stupid to know the difference anyway

xb33bsa said:
that can work well with the stock cam and produce similar hp to carbs and can even be made to run better than carbs with a lot of research time and money

To make any radical change work well takes two things: Time and money. OK so it also takes some smarts to do the research and persistence, and.......

That SOHC lump is an interesting looking example of the hard way to make power. I love it.

xb33bsa said:
roger that ! it is so simple tho if it was better to have one throttle on a 4 all the mfg's would be doing it ! think of the savings in production costs ! but you NEVER see it anymore,on anything, it is a step backwards.period
but a bolt on kit for the below average intelligence brat builder is a super idea
they can't ride well enough to use horsepower and are too stupid to know the difference anyway

A single intake will not make as much power as 4 individual runners that has been properly designed and developed, but on an old clunker where emissions are less of an issue, that's not really where we're at.

Old style CB500/550/650 makes how much power? 30-45 hp. In full race tune maybe 60-70? A modern street 600 makes over 100. There is no comparison, but as a fun project on an old bike, why not try it? :)

xb33bsa said:

The Hot Rod market sells a ton of EFI kits for Chevy 350's at spectacular prices... meh Quadrajet never sounded so good!

teazer said:
A single intake will not make as much power as 4 individual runners that has been properly designed and developed, but on an old clunker where emissions are less of an issue, that's not really where we're at.

Old style CB500/550/650 makes how much power? 30-45 hp. In full race tune maybe 60-70? A modern street 600 makes over 100. There is no comparison, but as a fun project on an old bike, why not try it? :)

Yeah ^^^ what he said... I got a tenner for every carby you want to scrap for the FI... emkay?

My wife's 2011 Suzuki TU250 has a single throttle body on it that could easily be popped off and stuck on an old bike I figure. Triumphs and other modern-retro bikes also have carb-styled FI units that could probably be ported over too. Some ECU reprogramming....

Tim said:
My wife's 2011 Suzuki TU250 has a single throttle body on it that could easily be popped off and stuck on an old bike I figure. Triumphs and other modern-retro bikes also have carb-styled FI units that could probably be ported over too. Some ECU reprogramming....

That was my first point of research on my EFI conversion. Unfortunately the TU250 parts are rare and, hence, expensive.

teazer said:

I guess that's what I am thinking now. All of us on here are aware (or will become aware) that these are never going to run with crotch rockets of today, no matter how much we put into them. If I can make it neat, functional, and different.... I guess why not. This whole thing now has me thinking about fuel injection when I was just originally thinking about a single carb haha Darn you smart people...

you can do a decent single carb and intake for a lot less than fuel injection

and the carb does not need a bunch of sensors or a high pressure fuel pump

or electrical dependency ect or a ecu

cxman said:
you can do a decent single carb and intake for a lot less than fuel injection

and the carb does not need a bunch of sensors or a high pressure fuel pump

or electrical dependency ect or a ecu

Definitely true, but you will also never see the level of efficiency and response that you would with EFI.

EFI = Long hard road with big paybacks if you get it right
Carbs = Easier road with less payback

What is the point of swapping to a single or dual carb set up?
Anyone have a before and after dyno run going from stock carbs to a dual carb set up?
If going through the work of swapping carbs why not try to get some real performance? Plenty of 4 carb options with proven gains.

This idea that two or one carbs is simpler or easier to tune is complete BS. Just marketing junk to get ignorant hipsters to buy something.
Most wouldn't know a well running engine if it smacked them.

not everyone is a performance rider or wants to get the last hp out of a ride they have spent a pile of money on

most want to just ride it and have total reliability

cxman said:
first issue to solve 150 watt charging system

that is almost maxed out

True that.

It's a shame that someone with a bit of electrical knowledge isn't working on that one... ::)

Attachments

• 10943287_10153041495639508_1933805945_o.jpg
    10943287_10153041495639508_1933805945_o.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 10967480_10153075578469508_629209791_o.jpg
    10967480_10153075578469508_629209791_o.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 10984966_10153098287179508_809838394_n.jpg
    10984966_10153098287179508_809838394_n.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 11004707_10153098287209508_1662248547_n.jpg
    11004707_10153098287209508_1662248547_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 218
What exactly is "unreliable" about the factory set ups then?
I get that not everyone wants to build a race bike, but why downgrade and LIMIT the power that you had stock?
I just fail to see what the point of spending money on these kits is. Unless it is just to say that you did something?
Work for the sake of work just doesn't get me going.
Playing dress up is odd to me too.

surffly said:
This idea that two or one carbs is simpler or easier to tune is complete BS. Just marketing junk to get ignorant hipsters to buy something.
Most wouldn't know a well running engine if it smacked them.

Well one thing you may want to remember is not every young rider asking a question is a hipster that wouldn't know a "well running engine if it smacks them". That is the reason I ask this question and didn't just go out and do it. I am sorry but you weren't born with the knowledge you have now and most of us (believe it or not) are trying to learn the right way to do stuff.

If I find that the single carb isn't the best way to go (which it seems not to be) I will run four carbs, or look more into fuel injection. Looks to be a neat setup that may produce some gains. I am sorry that the fact that I do some research doesn't fit your pre conceived notion of a mid 20's guy that is trying to build a good, reliable, functional bike. Oh wait I do wear black framed glasses, I guess I am a hipster.... Damn

Sonreir said:
True that.

It's a shame that someone with a bit of electrical knowledge isn't working on that one... ::)

Oh when will this be done??

350W, actually. Adapting a modern Mosfet R/R to the purpose.

Might be done before the end of the year... we'll see...

Back
Top Bottom