The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550- New Electrical

Re: The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550

Got really inspired last night on the way to my hockey game. Saw the paint scheme for my wheels, I think, off a BMW 750i. Should look titts

Stay Tuned....

Just picked up my Gasket set from DCC. Looking forward to getting the engine apart.

sxecafe said:
Got really inspired last night on the way to my hockey game. Saw the paint scheme for my wheels, I think, off a BMW 750i. Should look titts

Stay Tuned....

TEASE!

Got my carb screw set in:

DSC_1496.jpg

Prep'd and did a little paint on the back wheel:

DSC_1499.jpg

DSC_1497.jpg

DSC_1498.jpg

Paint:

DSC_1504.jpg

DSC_1502.jpg

I have engine gaskets on the way and I also got my fiberglass products ordered. Things should start moving along shortly.

Look what I got!!! Thanks DCC! Super fast shipping and exactly as promised!

DSC_1559.jpg

More stuff today. Shitty pics so Im sorry. I unpacked all the stuff when I got home sprayed the hub and then had to go to my hockey game. Came home and shot these with the camera.

I have to shoot this again:

photo2-1.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

And looks like my weekend is going to fun... and no, not because I look like I have a bag of Columbia's finest

photo-1.jpg

These, my friends, are two rolls of ALOT of fiber glass:

photo1.jpg

Very excite!

Got new engine bolts in tonight. Very excited b/c now with the exception of paint I can tear down the engine (hoping that I dont need to hone and ring).

DSC_1707.jpg

DSC_1706.jpg

Kind of a frustrating evening:

I sat and stared at my tank and tried to figure out how to mount it and combine the top and bottom half. Didn't get very far but I did realize that (if looking from the back) the left side was built up more than the right with glass mat. I have to fix that.

Next, I sprayed the rear hub again along with the shoe holder thinking that the Wheel paint I got would cover some of the scoring from the wire wheel I used to clean. I dont know what I was thinking because it def did not. It must have been a longer day than I thought.

Lastly, I started working the sterring stem again to no avail. I really just dont have the right tools and... yea.

I really tried to pull out something successfully today but I guess it was one of those days.

Got the Intake Boots a little more pliable last night boiling them in water and Wintergreen Oil. Worked out pretty well.

DSC_1710.jpg

I cleaned up my garage yesterday and then started working on getting the engine out of the frame.

great_success.png

Some of those bolts were really tough to get off esp on the right side crank case cover. Looks like no one fucked with this thing for a long time. Ill have more pics in a second but my girl took off to get coffee with my cam in the car (i couldnt resist the urge to post while waiting).

Got the top off:

DSC_0828.jpg

DSC_0830-1.jpg

Dont know if this is going to cause an issue. The rocked arm that it connects with is fine.

DSC_0834-1.jpg

There was some residual carbon. I would like to clean it out with out honing is possible. Any suggestions?

DSC_0838-1.jpg

There are two spots which are suspect to me. There is no significant scoring and no deep grooves but there is one little pin point of a mark which I can feel on the left hand side of this picture towards the top of the jug (you have to look close):

DSC_0839.jpg

Also, a small line on the bottom on this jug that you can not feel with your finger:

DSC_0842-1.jpg

Lots o' Carbon.

DSC_0843-1.jpg

and then a blem:

DSC_0844-1.jpg

I need to figure out how to get his carbon off the top with out scoring anything. Also, even tho i didnt take a picture the underside of the valves has alot of deposits on it as well. Ill shoot that tmrw and post a pic.

Got the Pistons off last night with a few other things. Got some of the carbon build up down as well.

Shitty Cell Pics:

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

I went to Flanders today to pick up a cable for my 400T today. That place is bad ass! It has some pretty awesome old scoots lying around.

Then I had an interesting time trying to find someone who would take on my sterring stem issue.... One shop just looked at it blankly and kept groaning, he finally gave me a number to a guy that wasnt going to be around until Tues. That wasnt going to so I called up another shop. This dude was a TRIP! I made a simple suggestion and the dude ripped my head off (rightfully so) and then we were best friend when he figured out I was Italian and we graduated from the same school. Anyway... he popped my stem out and it going to lathe down the piece and re-thread it to match the size of the neck. I hope it all works out...

In other news: I finished my seat hoop today with a bunch of stitch welds. Not sure if I'm 100% in love with it but it works and actually looks pretty good for it being the first time I welded something of any substance.

I'll post pics at the end of the weekend.

sxecafe said:
There was some residual carbon. I would like to clean it out with out honing is possible. Any suggestions?

Why the aversion to honing the cylinders? You'll have to do that anyway if you fit new rings...........you are fitting new rings, right??

Got the seat hoop done on Friday.

DSC_0831-1.jpg

DSC_0827.jpg

DSC_0830-2.jpg

Then I did work on the tank. Joined the two sides together after trimming the tunnel. I now have to cut the top open so I can get the inside leak free. The shitty thing is that the dremel tool I bought today broke so I had to stop half way.

DSC_0905.jpg

Cut Marks

DSC_0908.jpg

DSC_0911.jpg

DSC_0912.jpg

DSC_0913.jpg

I put a layer of bi-directional on the bottom to keep the shape enough to tear the top off and finish the job on the inside.

DSC_0922.jpg

Trimmed the rest of the pieces off the donar tank I needed. I got the gas cap as well but forgot that in the picture.

DSC_0914.jpg

Now... After all that... Im not sure Im really feelin' the tank. I don't know. I know that the bars and seat are not on to balance the thing out but I just feel like its really high on the bike. I NEED FEEDBACK! What do you guys think?!

DSC_0920.jpg

DSC_0918.jpg

DSC_0917.jpg

DSC_0916.jpg

Please give me your thoughts....

I bought a screw extractor this morning and was able to get the right crank case off and attempted to get the lower crank case separated from the top crank case however, I need some more tools in order to do it. I did however get the oil pan off the bottom and took a peek in to the trans and saw that there was nothing sitting in the bottom of the pan and there seemed to be no chips or the like on the bottom. This was a nice surprise.

Has anyone pulled their alternator rotor? I bought a gear puller but I dont think thats going to do the trick and the illustration in Clymer manual shows a "t-bar" like tool.

On to other things....

I threw the front wheel on the other frame I have and did a mock up of the tank. I had to grind the tank mounts down a little bit to get it to fit but once it was on there I think I like it.

DSC_0925.jpg

DSC_0927.jpg

Any thoughts?

Also, I got the top off the tank and was able to mix up a batch of resin with milled fibers to seal the corners. I used a honey bear to distribute and it worked well.

Then I cleaned up the back of the tank where the rear tank mount will sit:

DSC_0929.jpg

Then I took glassmat and built the sides up in the inside:

DSC_0928.jpg

...and the front:

DSC_0930.jpg

That's all I could stand for the weekend.

And feedback?

I like the shape of the tank. Unless there's a huge gap between the tank and the engine when it's mounted, I think you're good! Some nice work.

I realized I never posted these... they are from like 3 months ago:

DSC_1291-1.jpg

DSC_1293-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom