"Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

Re: "Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

xb33bsa said:
eye-dealy you helicoil repair it, the kits are not that spendy and handy to have around
def i would not go out to m8 you gotta drill the outer case and it will look like shit and may crak

Agree, helicoil it is. Don't you have to drill out the hole to helicoil too tho?

Yea?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002KKPXK?pc_redir=1413774565&robot_redir=1

1sttimer said:
Yea?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002KKPXK?pc_redir=1413774565&robot_redir=1
you do have to drill out/size the threaded area
http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-Thread-Repair-Drill-Insertion/dp/B00IOAMGMS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414187185&sr=8-2&keywords=helicoil+kits+6mm
this one has the drillbit

xb33bsa said:
you do have to drill out/size the threaded area
http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-Thread-Repair-Drill-Insertion/dp/B00IOAMGMS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414187185&sr=8-2&keywords=helicoil+kits+6mm
this one has the drillbit

Got it. I noticed that there is only one length of insert in the kit. What if you have a blind hole that's an inch deep? Do you only use one insert even though it may only be a half inch long? Or do you just stack them end on end?

you can buy more inserts seperately in longer lengths,that said you only need about 1-1-1/2 times the bolt dia in thread depth to achieve max strength

xb33bsa said:
you can buy more inserts seperately in longer lengths,that said you only need about 1-1-1/2 times the bolt dia in thread depth to achieve max strength

Ok, man...technology :) thanks

Finally got the stator off to Rick's Motorsports Electrics for a rebuild. They take your core and rebuild it to OEM specs. Hope this will get me charging in about 10 days or so.

Got the CL200 oil pump installed the new plunger, turned the pump over and blew it out with compressed air (my mouth).

Only thing I'm worried about is that the little filter isn't too snug on the bottom. It kinda wants to fall off but it's wedged between the lower case so I guess it's ok.

cbe2ee19e98dd3091ed096168e753960.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difference in 200 and 175 plungers. 200 on right.

4059330fea4ba5f2f72f9a79efe70f49.jpg

1sttimer said:
Difference in 200 and 175 plungers. 200 on right.

4059330fea4ba5f2f72f9a79efe70f49.jpg

big difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1sttimer said:
Got the CL200 oil pump installed the new plunger, turned the pump over and blew it out with compressed air (my mouth).

Only thing I'm worried about is that the little filter isn't too snug on the bottom. It kinda wants to fall off but it's wedged between the lower case so I guess it's ok.

cbe2ee19e98dd3091ed096168e753960.jpg

get a new one

Texasstar said:
get a new one

Yeah, are you supposed to be able to take the filter on and off with the pump and clutch basket in place? It's a tiiiiight fit (don't "that's what she said" me).

1sttimer said:
Yeah, are you supposed to be able to take the filter on and off with the pump and clutch basket in place? It's a tiiiiight fit (don't "that's what she said" me).
yes it is a tight fit and you want it that way. Victoria had bits of metal in the screen when we rebuilt her. I can only imagine with the additional pumping you don't want to draw anything into that pump. It seems our 175 has way more pumping volume at the top than our 200 does... When we remove the tappet covers we get oil everywhere compared to the 200.

As a race engine we got a magnetic oil plug. When we lost the cam chain we found part of the link in the oil plug...

Awesome. Isn't great when what seems like imminent disaster ends up being only a minor setback? I lost a tappet screw that wiggled out and wedged in-between the cam chain and the sprocket. Nothing broke. The bike just went dead. You'd think a broken part would bounce around in there like a lottery ball. Not always is the case.

Texasstar said:
yes it is a tight fit and you want it that way. Victoria had bits of metal in the screen when we rebuilt her. I can only imagine with the additional pumping you don't want to draw anything into that pump. It seems our 175 has way more pumping volume at the top than our 200 does... When we remove the tappet covers we get oil everywhere compared to the 200.

Did you dig up numbers to confirm that? When you recommended I pull the tappet covers on my 175 I did and oil went everywhere. I'll do the same on the 200 pump and see what happens.

Are you saying the changeover might not be beneficial? Theoretically it should displace more at equal rotation speed.

Texasstar said:
As a race engine we got a magnetic oil plug. When we lost the cam chain we found part of the link in the oil plug...

Knowing my hands have been in the transmission, this is probably a must-have for me :D

deviant said:
Awesome. Isn't great when what seems like imminent disaster ends up being only a minor setback? I lost a tappet screw that wiggled out and wedged in-between the cam chain and the sprocket. Nothing broke. The bike just went dead. You'd think a broken part would bounce around in there like a lottery ball. Not always is the case.

Wow, man. Luck.

1sttimer said:
Did you dig up numbers to confirm that? When you recommended I pull the tappet covers on my 175 I did and oil went everywhere. I'll do the same on the 200 pump and see what happens.

Are you saying the changeover might not be beneficial? Theoretically it should displace more at equal rotation speed.
no the change over IS beneficial no numbers but the oil travels up two posts on the 175 and only one on the 200...

Back
Top Bottom