DTT Barber Build 2012

Forget all the snake oils used to protect leather. Plant your butt on that seat and ride it!

Looking good Flug.

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with how it turned out, especially for my first try at upholstery.

Now, I just hope the weather is nice this weekend so I can knock the dust of the bike.

Big Rich said:
Forget all the snake oils used to protect leather. Plant your butt on that seat and ride it!

Looking good Flug.

I heard if you rub the seat and pat your ass while rubbing lambs blood into the seat it will last forever!

No, no, no...... it's SNAKE blood. That's how the oil is extracted. Lambs blood tends to make wool grow off the seat. Seriously, Google it. You'll find thousands of wool covered cycle seats.

Nearly two years later and she is finally done. When I say "done", I don't mean finished as there are still several things I want to do, but she runs and rides and is basically complete.

First, I want to sincerely thank everyone that has had a hand in helping me rebuild my bike. Two years ago I nearly killed myself and destroyed the "cafe racer" incarnation of Nixon. The amazing friends I have met on this forum quickly rallied around me and supported me with encouragement, parts, labor and inspiration. You cannot begin to imagine how thankful I am to have become a part of this DTT family. Well, maybe you can.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Kiley for all the parts you gave me, the amazing paintwork on the tank, and the advice and support over the last few years. Also thank you for opening your shop and your home to me and my dad, and the rest of the guys to help rebuild her. I owe you a lot more than a few cases of brew.

Thank you Andrew for helping me make the custom battery box and turn signal plate and for all of your assistance during those late nights at Barber. Without your help I would not have had a bike to put together. It means a lot to me.

Thank you Junior for all of the fab work you did for me. You had no idea who I was but you didn't care, you just helped. You are awesome my friend.

Thank you Rich for the tank, it really makes the bike what she is, and for building the wheels. Thank you Troy for all of the wisdom, advice and physical help. Thank you Eric for the bars. Also, thank you Chris, Keith, Eddie, Travis and everyone else that helped turn a wrench.

You guys helped get from here:

44bdbacd-572a-7945.jpg

To here:

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

photo%25205.JPG

I plan on having a friend take some proper glamour shots for me soon.

Plans for the future:
Get it tuned (still fouling plugs)
New tires (street biased dual sports)
New Chain
New taillight (it got waterlogged at the Meltdown)
Swingarm mounted rear fender
Removable pannier on the right side

Fantastic work Mike! My absolute pleasure playing a small role. It's good to see her looking so good!

Ah, spring time. When a young mans fancy turns to the love of the open road.......

Looks great Mike. And no thanks needed - I'm just glad to help.

The tool roll is done. It isn't the best design ever, but it served its purpose as sewing practice and will now be a functional tool holder. I have two more tools to buy for it, a small hand pump and a 10mm wrench. And once I figure out how to attach it to the bike, no more backpack!

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25201.JPG

Contents:
Fuel Line
Tire Irons
Pump (need to purchase)
Tube Patch Kit
Fuses
Electrical Tape
Spark Plug Gapper
Hex wrench set
Needlenose Vice Grips
Safety Wire
Multi-tipped Screwdriver
Zip-ties (in case I run into Ichiban Moto)
Flashlight
Adjustable Wrench (Axle)
Open ended Wrenches (10,11,12,13,14mm)
Tire Pressure Gauge
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wrench
Wire

I also wear a leatherman on my belt.

Nice Flug. I need to do up a permanent roll. I have to fill mine for each long trip from my shop tools and really I should just buy some and leave them on the bike all the time. Your list is pretty complete. how big are the tire irons you have in there? Mine are like 18" or so and I am not sure I could get them in a roll that size.

I got small ones (8 inches?) just for this ($6 each). I will eventually get some tubes and put them in here as well, but the patch kit should work in a pinch.

The pump I'm going to get is about the same size as the tire irons. It will take awhile to pump up a tire, but I hopefully won't have to use it very often.

Back
Top Bottom