Time to Contribute! RD350 Cafe Build

Here are some seat ideas that suck less. Seats 1-5.

imo seat 5 is way too big, seat 4 is too pointy. The other three I like with maybe seat 2 taking top spot.

Once I settle I'll try to make a 3D model and then I can use that to seek out some help getting this done. I have essentially zero fab skills or tools for those that asked earlier. I'm giving up on the passenger seat idea for the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
I like seat 1 if it would end at the axl im a firm suporter that there is no reason for a seat to go past the rear axl

I m agreeing with Brad and Von center of wheel is a good spot !

Totally wrong thinking IMHO (ok not so humble, but still my opinion :)

Seat hump is crucial to the look of a bike and it also serves at the start of the light/fender/plate area. If it's too far forwards, it leaves the bike looking "short" and that also leaves no where typically for the rear light or plate.

With the rear end of the seat further back there's more clearance at the rear end and less seat to tire clashes and less plates tacked on the side because someone couldn't work out a way to integrate them. There are so many seat styles out there and some actually look OK.

Of yours so far, #2 is probably the most balanced, but what about say a 400 tank to change things up a bit? That would work with a squarer seat hump like say a 75 TR750 just to be different.

Thanks for the advice and ways of thinking about the bike's looks. Personally, it's okay with me if it looks a little short, but I do agree - at least with what I'm shooting for, that the axle is a good stopping point (give or take).

I was concerned that the seat pan on the seats 1 & 2 are too long. Also, should what I choose have a right angle from the seat pan to the tail, a transition similar to what I have, or a larger transition (more swept up from seatpan to tail)?

The duck tail type look and longer squarer tanks, but because of what I have and the fact this is my first build (and my only cafe) I'd like to stay somewhat traditional and simple. - even if it's a bit boring to some of the more seasoned builders *sorry* :-\. If I ever build one though, I'll call it Dewey.

Down the road I'd like to try some different stuff, maybe do a cb750 or rd400 build and if I did, I'd go for something a little less conventional. I really like the idea of a street tracker.

I welcome more criticism...don't have any time invested in these shapes, like a 1/2 hour tops, so be honest.

Have to say I am in the teazer camp. Mostly from a form follows function viewpoint. Regardless of where you don't want to put it, nigh on every bike out there looks better without the license plate. BUT, it has to be there, so I say make the best of it, and use it as an extension of your bodywork so it can help out as a fender. I have heard a lot of claims of not riding in the rain, but if you ride much at all, you are doomed to endure it. No rear fender at all makes an unbelievable mess out of your bike, and a way too short one throws a pretty crazy amount of water up on your back from the tire. You'd be surprised how much chain oil gets on your plate instead of your back as well! I think also that cafe bikes need to fairly minimalist, and getting the most work out of the fewest parts goes with that philosophy. The 400 tank is a hair longer, and might help with keeping a visual balance. Lots of cafe bikes have longer (old) road race style tanks. Check the pic. the seat on this old TR is easily at wheel center, and the bodywork well to the rear. Looks just fine to my eye, but luckily we all like something different!

John

Attachments

• Yamaha-TR3-1972.jpg
    Yamaha-TR3-1972.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 241
Here is that same over all look with a streched 400 tank that ends at the rear axl it all comes down to taste

Attachments

• IMAG1039.jpg
    IMAG1039.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,084
Been doing some reflecting on seat options...in the mean time got economy cycle stuff to rebuild little things, like wheel bearings, brake parts, steerings stem bearings, petcock rebuild kit. I also got a tail light that doubles as turn signals (pic1).

I have searched endlessly for a fiberglass seat with the looks and dimensions needed. After thinking for a while and looking through all of the motocarerra gallery http://www.motocarrera.com/index.php?page_id=4...I have to say, the round cafe seat is looking less appealing to me. I'm starting to lean in the direction of an xr flat tracker seat, like the one offered by moto carrera. (pic2)

Thoughts? Opinions? I was leaning dual headlamps anyway...this would all seem to fit more with my lighting preferences. (pic3)

Attachments

• HLUTRBLK.jpg
    HLUTRBLK.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 565xr750%20seat.jpg
    565xr750%20seat.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 235006597.jpg
    235006597.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,054
Nice ride.

Light is brighter than I expected - did you bend the license plate holder? Pics online seemed like the plate might have clearance issues with rear tire on a short seat.

andrewlk said:
Been doing some reflecting on seat options...in the mean time got economy cycle stuff to rebuild little things, like wheel bearings, brake parts, steerings stem bearings, petcock rebuild kit. I also got a tail light that doubles as turn signals (pic1).

I have searched endlessly for a fiberglass seat with the looks and dimensions needed. After thinking for a while and looking through all of the motocarerra gallery...I have to say, the round cafe seat is looking less appealing to me. I'm starting to lean in the direction of an xr flat tracker seat, like the one offered by moto carrera. (pic2)

Thoughts? Opinions? I was leaning dual headlamps anyway...this would all seem to fit more with my lighting preferences. (pic3)

That seat is 100x better than the rounded hump seats for your application imho. I almost used that twin rear light on my T500 but ended up using an LED strip. I am using twin round lights on the front though, here is what they look like on my bike.

Attachments

• lights.JPG
    lights.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 226
andrewlk said:
Nice ride.

Light is brighter than I expected - did you bend the license plate holder? Pics online seemed like the plate might have clearance issues with rear tire on a short seat.

Thanks. The light is stock. Only thing I needed to do was to drill my plate; the holes didn't line up.

Finished a 3D cardboard model of the seat/tail. It's a blend of seats 1 & 2 from page 7. I am exploring one last option for a traditional cafe seat (yes, yes, a boring hump). But if it doesn't work out I plan to shift towards a street tracker/cafe blend. Anyway, here are a few quick pictures. Thoughts and opinions welcome. Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 743
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 760
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 769
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 802
As you probably realize by now, I can be brutally honest at times - usually to make people stop and think about the options.

My comments about where the seat stop or start are really aimed at thinking that is a critical design decision. It's not. What you want is a seat you like and it will end wherever it end.

As to the issue of tradition - whose tradition and who is to say what a set should look like. Very few so called Cafe racers built in the last few years look much like a traditional cafe racer and there's probably no good reason why they should.

Feel free to experiment and mix styles if that's what you like. I am so over the flat seat hoop/home made crappy seat and side mounted plate with no fenders look. It isn't traditional or stylish IMHO. It's just lazy and unimaginative. That doesn't mean that a home made seat is always bad or that all rear loops are bad, just that people coming along thing that's what makes cafe racer.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but I'd rather fit a good looking seat I bought than a bad looking one I made. I often modify seats to make them thinner or wider or longer etc, but I rarely make a seat from scratch unless there are no other options for a particular application.

And on an RD, how about a 400 tank and Superbike bars for a mini-superbike look for a change. It's true to the cafe ethos but a more modern look and easier to achieve and easier to ride, or a street tracker look? Either works as an alternative.

BTW that TR3 above has a 76-78 TZ seat on it and is not stock. Just saying. :) Merry Christmas

Thanks for your input Teazer, I do value your opinion. I know this is my project, but I hope you (and others) don't feel disheartened if I go this route. Traditional was probably an inappropriate word to describe my intentions, maybe generic would have been better.

Regardless, think of this as a never ending project. "Art is never finished..." as da Vinci said. This is not a bike I ever intend to get rid of, and in no way do I expect to be completely satisfied with my first choice.

This is more about getting my project functionally rebuilt and *possibly* roadworthy sometime next riding season. This rebuild is more about function and performance than looks, and that's how I've approached it - though I do want it to look good, it's not as big a concern as the grin on my face when I'm riding.

I could see down the road having multiple tank/seat/bar setups which are relatively interchangeable including, but not limited to:

1. stock tank, seat hump, clip-ons
2. rd400 or stretched tank, ducktail seat, clipons
3. xr style seat & tail (tracker), superbike or even taller bars.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me input, if your one goal has been to cause me to reflect and consider alternative options, you have accomplished it.

Back
Top Bottom