CB350 Built by a teen (Weld Now, Grind Later)

Re: CB350 Built by a teen

Rocan said:
Day 6

I left the casting marks on the top tree... they add to the vintage look.... plus it would take wayyyy to much time to get them all out :D

Flie and emery cloth, really doesn't take too long and does look a lot better.
I do the bottom yoke as well as its pretty rough from factory (as it was designed to have covers)
Takes a bit of work being cast steel but at least it gets painted so you don't have to fine finish it.

PJ

Re: CB350 Built by a teen (Picture Heavy!!)

i know what you are saying... on my cafe i show polished it all... in the end i went back a few rouges to almost add a bit more scuffing into the polish, it looked out of place with the mirror shine...

crazypj said:
Flie and emery cloth, really doesn't take too long and does look a lot better.
I do the bottom yoke as well as its pretty rough from factory (as it was designed to have covers)
Takes a bit of work being cast steel but at least it gets painted so you don't have to fine finish it.

PJ

i guess ill be repolishing the trees then ;)

didnt think about the emery cloth, thanks pj.

started sanding and buffing the rear drum today. the clear coat on it was a realll bitch to get off. was sanding for two hours. hit it with the buffer to see where the deep scratches are. started to wetsand with 600 grit after i did 120... found a few spots too be too deep so ill probably go back to them with some 300 grit wet sand.

i burn through the 600 grit so crazy fast it scares me. sometimes ill use 1000 grit wet after the 600, but ive found it to be pretty pointless on pieces that the buffer can hit. on parts that have tight corners ill go to 1000 so that the slightly polished corners blend better with the high polish stuff.

alfisto said:
I am very excited to see another 15 year old on this site! ;D

im 16 now but either way... there arent many teenagers left that can actually use their hands for anything mechanical.

looking good!

Im starting to lean towards polishing some stuff on my bike. I dont have a setup though, so Ill have to look into buying a bench grinder off CL or something..

Rocan said:
im 16 now but either way... there arent many teenagers left that can actually use their hands for anything mechanical.

No, unfortunately not. Leaves more cool projects for us though. Anyways, i saw that you were having trouble getting the clear of the hubs, id HIGHLY recommend using a gel paint remover for that. Jasco or Aircraft remover should have the job done in a minute. No negative side effects that ive seen.

Rocan said:
didnt think about the emery cloth, thanks pj.

started sanding and buffing the rear drum today. the clear coat on it was a realll bitch to get off. was sanding for two hours. hit it with the buffer to see where the deep scratches are. started to wetsand with 600 grit after i did 120... found a few spots too be too deep so ill probably go back to them with some 300 grit wet sand.

i burn through the 600 grit so crazy fast it scares me. sometimes ill use 1000 grit wet after the 600, but ive found it to be pretty pointless on pieces that the buffer can hit. on parts that have tight corners ill go to 1000 so that the slightly polished corners blend better with the high polish stuff.

Quote from: alfisto on Nov 25, 2009, 17:33:06
I am very excited to see another 15 year old on this site! Grin

Go 120, 240, 360~400, 600, 800 then buff with cutting compund (the black emery compound) then polish
Jumping from 120 to 600 is too much like hard work

You and alfisto are pretty unusual, most 15~16yr olds only use their hands for 'playstation' (et.al.), texting and other BS.
Being on sites like this will save you years of 're-inventing the wheel'

PJ

alfisto said:
No, unfortunately not. Leaves more cool projects for us though. Anyways, i saw that you were having trouble getting the clear of the hubs, id HIGHLY recommend using a gel paint remover for that. Jasco or Aircraft remover should have the job done in a minute. No negative side effects that ive seen.

paint stripper had zero affect on this clear. no idea why... the stripper im using ripped the paint off of every other part... just not the damn clear coat. im thinking that once the clear got oxidized the chemical composition of it changed enough that the stripper had little affect.

i think your right pj... i just hate how much time i spend sanding as it is xD

then again, gradually increasing the paper grit may cut down time... i guess ill find out and see!

Rocan said:
paint stripper had zero affect on this clear. no idea why... the stripper im using ripped the paint off of every other part... just not the damn clear coat. im thinking that once the clear got oxidized the chemical composition of it changed enough that the stripper had little affect.

i think your right pj... i just hate how much time i spend sanding as it is xD

then again, gradually increasing the paper grit may cut down time... i guess ill find out and see!

ya, gradually increasing will definitely cut down on the sanding time. With the 120 youre leaving really deep scratches, then youre trying to get rid of these deep scratches using a paper with very little bite. Lets say that the 120 makes cuts .1mm deep, and 600 cuts .01mm deep, while 180 or 200 cuts at .07mm. As you can see it makes much more sense to follow the 120 with 180 or 200.

Rocan said:

Try "Easy Off" oven cleaner on the clear. Works great, just don't leave it on too long.

CC

I'm with everyone else about walking throught the different levels of grits. Makes life much easier. Some of the stuff I've done I took it all the way to 2000 grit. I have to polish by hand :( Anyhow, turned out like chrome but has the warmth of aluminum. Just make sure to always work in the same direction.

I've also used heavy duty oven cleaner on old clear coats with great success. LIke CC said don't leave it on too long because it will start to eat the aluminum.

Rocan said:
Day 6

The parts look shinier in person... and even shinier in the sun. They are a bit dusty in these pictures and they dont have a final coat of mothers mag polish on them so they should glow pretty nicely when done. either way, im going to redo everything. it isnt done until its perfect.... not too mention how much rouge i have left ;D

IMG_0199.jpg

Posted this a couple of places but not sure if you saw it?
Yet another CB360 ( or two?) http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=11736.30
Hacksawed off the clock mounts, filed to shape then did 120, 240 emery.
Shined up one little bit on right side to show someone why you cant get a good finish after 240 grit.
PJ
Topyokemodified1.jpg

looks good pj...

i considered chopping the mounts off, but im leaving them on so i can mount the original tach and speedo (after much thought in my mind, lol). I will be rounding out the edges of them however.

didnt get anything done the last three days. Was upstate for thanksgiving and wasnt in the mood to work tonight. ive got work tomorrow and school during the week so if i update anything itll be around mid-late week next week.

My calipers and a part of a lever came in from ebay today. got it all for 25 dollars plus shipping. One caliper looks to be complete, but it needs to be rebuilt. The other calipers body looks to be in good condition, but the piston is out and looks to be in shabby condition. Lever will be ditched seeing as how its missing the bottom piece of it and the cap for the fluid. I get the feeling that im just going to go with a pretech 6 piston caliper. should be good fun with all that stopping power! ;D

Problem with any dual action caliper is the depth on spoke side.
Norton had a problem with caliper pistons falling out when pads wore down, pistons/calipers are now made deep enough that it cant happen with modern design, but, back of caliper sticks out a bit.
You need larger diameter rotors to get closer to wheel rim for clearance, with early Honda swinging arm caliper, mounting larger calipers involves fabricating mounting brackets. Its more difficult tthan using Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki forks because you dont have low mounts on fork leg
General idea, if you dont have a lot of power, make things lighter so stock brakes dont work so hard, even at 'high' speed (95~105mph) ::)
On a CB350, its not going to be 'look at the brakes on that bike' it going to be 'Look at the bike on those brakes' ;D ;D

PJ

CCRider said:
Try "Easy Off" oven cleaner on the clear. Works great, just don't leave it on too long.

CC

it cant be the fume free stuff......for some reason it doesnt work

thanks for that bit of info pj. the caliper from pretech comes with a mounting bracket already attached to the caliper if you give them the spacing between the bolt holes and all the other dimensions.

Don't want to see you waste money, you still need a bracket to drop caliper onto rotor.
CB450 forks don't have low enough mountings. (unless you fitting Buell wheel?)
You also need clearance from rotor to spokes, back of caliper is probably 40mm or so deep.
Sliding caliper is about 35mm but can be 'thinned' to about 30mm (or least amount to get clearance)

PJ

crazypj said:
Don't want to see you waste money, you still need a bracket to drop caliper onto rotor.
CB450 forks don't have low enough mountings. (unless you fitting Buell wheel?)
You also need clearance from rotor to spokes, back of caliper is probably 40mm or so deep.
Sliding caliper is about 35mm but can be 'thinned' to about 30mm (or least amount to get clearance)

PJ

its a thin back caliper that has been shown to clear the stock wheel found on cb750s/450s (sohc model 750s). I know that in the end i probably will be making a custom bracket for it... really not a big deal. ;)

thanks for the warning anyways though

Back
Top Bottom